Scheduling The Last Day Of Decorating. (Long)

Decorating By brown_suga Updated 16 May 2011 , 8:40pm by brown_suga

brown_suga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brown_suga Posted 16 May 2011 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 4

There are a lot of posts on a general cake schedule, and I found that most people start baking and etc on wednesday for a saturday cake just as I do. However, I sometimes wonder what can be saved for the very last minute or done on site. I ask because I often get stuck with the following dilema... All the details for my cake will be done and refridgerated by friday night, the cake is due saturday afternoon or night and I have gumpaste details to add. In the past I've had issues with my gumpaste softening after sitting in the fridge which always leads to breakage. Will it be ok to attach my gumpaste accents the day of delivery if I'm using royal? Also can I attach it at the event during setup or is this pushing it? what consistency of royal is best when using as glue to attach heavy gumpaste pieces.

3 replies
LindseyLoocy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindseyLoocy Posted 16 May 2011 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 4

I'm curious. What kind of gumpaste accents are you making, that you would put them in the refrigerator? Generally, gumpaste pieces need to dry so therefore, the refrigerator would not help you at all. If you have the time, then you can put them on the day of. As for the royal icing, you need it to be thick so it doesn't run and your pieces slide. Hope that helps icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 May 2011 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 4

Your solution is to stop putting cakes in the refrigerator. It's generally a bad idea.

brown_suga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brown_suga Posted 16 May 2011 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks Lindsey. icon_smile.gif that helps a lot. Its not the gumpaste that needs to be refridgerated, lol its the cake. Leah I would love to keep my cakes sitting out but 9 times out of 10 the cakes that are ordered contain a perishable filling. icon_sad.gif My concern was that the royal icing wouldn't dry in time if I waited for the same day of delivery. Thank you ladies very much for your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%