Buttercream Advice--Help For Wedding Cake!

Baking By annlw Updated 17 May 2011 , 2:58am by itscake

annlw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annlw Posted 16 May 2011 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 6

Hi All,
I'm making a wedding cake for Saturday and conflicted about the kind of buttercream to use.
A little while ago, I made a batch of Swiss meringue buttercream to test. I really liked the taste, and think it's superior to the taste of American buttercream (which I usually use)....it had just the right amount of sweetness (i.e. not too much). But the the color is more of an ivory (the butter where I am is very yellow), and it also seems harder to smooth out (many air pockets from all that beating of the egg whites!). On top of this, it is supposed to be HOT on Saturday and I'm worried the Swiss meringue buttercream will melt!
SO MY QUESTION IS THIS: I'm wondering if for the actual cake, I could make up a batch of BOTH buttercreams and then just beat them together. Has anyone done this? Or is that pointless since the frosting still ends up a bit gritty from the powdered sugar (I don't mind SOME, just don't want too much0? I just tried whipping two small batches together, and it seems like it could work. On the other hand, if someone has a completely different suggestion, let me know!
THANKS!
Ann
icon_smile.gif

5 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 16 May 2011 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 6

What did the bride order?

annlw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annlw Posted 16 May 2011 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 6

She is a friend and is basically leaving it up to me....I let her try a test cake which had American buttercream on it, which she liked. But the guests at the wedding will be largely international--I live in Beijing--and many people (especially Chinese people) do not like things that are too sweet.
I'm also putting some polka dots that I made out of fondant all around teh outside...

itscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itscake Posted 16 May 2011 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 6

I have been using this method for a year now....everyone loves it. I blend the two together ..and it worked well...you may need to add a little more butter or shortning..

MrsMoe07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMoe07 Posted 16 May 2011 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by itscake

I have been using this method for a year now....everyone loves it. I blend the two together ..and it worked well...you may need to add a little more butter or shortning..

So you're saying mixing the BC and the SMBC would hold up in the heat? I wanted to use SMBC at my son's upcoming birthday and was afraid of the icing melting, but also wanted to appeal to my family with the not-so-sweet icing.

itscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itscake Posted 17 May 2011 , 2:58am
post #6 of 6

it holds up very well...I would take it out of the fridge an hour before serving

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%