Adding Glycerin To Fondant For Dryness

Decorating By Bleighva Updated 16 May 2011 , 4:08pm by Bleighva

Bleighva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bleighva Posted 16 May 2011 , 2:14am
post #1 of 4

Does anybody know anything about adding additional glycerin to store bought fondant? I live in Colorado so it is very dry here, when i hand knead it i use crisco to help it from drying out instead of powdered sugar or corn starch. I have just been buying the Wilton ready fondant. However i noticed on some square dummy cakes that i was covering that i am still getting the dryness look on the corners of it (sides and top look good). I have heard about adding additional glycerin when it is dry like it is in Colorado however not sure how much to use and how.... any suggestions?

3 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:02am
post #2 of 4

Worth a try. Or corn syrup perhaps?...but I guess that's much the same thing really. Maybe using something like The Mat to roll fondant between might help by reducing the amount of exposure to air the fondant gets before applying it to the cake.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 16 May 2011 , 12:04pm
post #3 of 4

I use this quite often , particularly when I have to knead a lot of colour into the fondant. I add about half a teaspoon to about a kilo of fondant , I just sort of smooth it all over the fondant and knead it in. I find that it cuts down on the crazing and make the fondant a little more pliable.

Bleighva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bleighva Posted 16 May 2011 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for your input, i have noticed that as well, when i add a bunch of coloring (especially darker colors) it almost seems impossible to keep it from cracking on those sharp corners no matter how much crisco i knead in to help moisten it as much as i can. I will give it at try icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%