Home Baker...never Again,must Have Been Out Of My Mind !

Baking By Brendabeeper Updated 21 Jun 2011 , 4:47pm by ChunkkeeMunkkee

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 15 May 2011 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 10

So my nephew is getting married, I thought I seen these georgous heart shaped tux and gown cookies...how cute to place at the table settings. I called them and offered to make them as part of my gift to them.
I was thinking 150 aprox.. no it is 300 and let me tell you home bakers that before you do something crazy like that ... this took weeks, premade cookied dough, baked and froze ahead of time. made the bow ties weeks in advance. and the last 4 days ( between laundry and dinner ) this is all I have done. Had to even call in a few friends to help for a little at the end . THANK YOU friends icon_smile.gif. Husband is seeing RED. very mad I took this on. Didnt help that I hurt my neck ( pinched nerve ) and my left arm is NUMB and Tingling with some pain most of the time. ... guess I will recover on the 8 hour drive to the wedding. Next time I will think before I speak. My daughter helped alot for the first 100. She says ..."mom would you ever do these again ...say for my wedding..... I said "NO" maybe for the dinner before for just the wedding party but "NO " for the wedding dinner.

CRAZY .. but am almost done now. AMEN
Will post photos later ... just taking a vent break....

9 replies
bunnywiser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunnywiser Posted 15 May 2011 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 10

I'm sure your cookies are beautiful!

I was a young bride, almost 30 years ago now, and we didn't have much money . All my mother's coworkers made everything for the reception, bless their hearts, and I still remember everything they made.

Home made is always liked best, and remembered, and appreciated! Your good Karma will come back to you!

Lilriv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lilriv Posted 15 May 2011 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 10

I know what is like to offer some baked goodies for favors at a party I just did 55 cupcakes, and 2 dozen homemade cookies for a coworker's baby shower yesterday. I could not help myself. icon_smile.gif I started late on friday and spent the whole night baking, then in the morning I decorated them( thank God for my daughter who helped me with the decoration). I was in such a frantic rush I forgot to take pictures of them. It made me happy that everybody enjoy the cupcakes and the cookies so much. I hope that everybody enjoy your cookies at the wedding. I know that yur nephew and hid bride will not forget that nice gesture you did to make the wedding more memorable. Enjoy the wedding and have a safe trip. God bless you. icon_biggrin.gif

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 15 May 2011 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 10

Now you have me scared!! I am making 325 cookies for my friend's favors. Her wedding is Oct.11, I am starting in late July with the dough. Wish me luck! icon_surprised.gif

SymsChocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SymsChocolates Posted 16 May 2011 , 2:00pm
post #5 of 10

I am sure too that they turned out great and people will appreciate them!!

I completed an order for "Africa" shaped cookies decorated in the "flag" colors as well. I started making dough on Wednesday last week, baked on Thursday and Friday and spent many hours on Saturday with the help of my husband decorating them The only issue was one color didn't dry overnight, though the people didn't care. They were for one girl in our church that will be going on a "Missions" trip to "Africa" this summer. I have a company that handmakes cookies cutters, and they had a "Africa" cutter which was perfect! I wouldn't ice them the same way again, but I was truly pleased with the way they turned out. Plenty of work, but truly for a good cause.

I will be doing "Ribbon" cookies for our local Relay for Life walk in June. I will ice them in purple and white and bag them each with a ribbon and we will be selling them at the walk. It is my donation to our church team and I am happy to do them. I will probably end up making over 300 of them! Willl my hand be sore, you bet! I will enjoy every minute of it though as I have lost my mom and many other relatives to cancer.

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 18 May 2011 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 10

A word of advice, always add and a few extra days or even weeks because it will always take longer than you expect it to!!! Ask me how I know!!!!

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 18 May 2011 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 10

ALVARGA, You said a mouth full.

Grim2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Grim2 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 3:01pm
post #8 of 10

I made cookies for my own wedding........ about 330...........took help from a couple of people and it took about 36 hours in total........ fall leaves and apples. Definitely give yourself some extra time, I was delusional and thought I would have it done in no time...............that certainly was not the case............ icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 4:13pm
post #9 of 10

My advice if you have to make a ton of cookies at once is to use fondant for the icing. I can bake, decorate and bag about 60 cookies in three hours or less.

ChunkkeeMunkkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 4:47pm
post #10 of 10

Here's one I learned from a bakery I worked at... USE A FAN to dry your cookies! I have produced 150 cookies that dry over night. I am sure I can make more, but I don't want to tempt the Cookie Gods lol!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%