Need To Purchase Airbrush System Asap...need Opinions!!

Decorating By lovinlife11 Updated 16 May 2011 , 9:59pm by DerrellC

lovinlife11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinlife11 Posted 14 May 2011 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 11

Has anyone used the Duff airbrush system. Is it worth the money or should I just buy a better one. I am a hobby baker and need one for an order tomorrow. I have a 40% coupon for Michael's and I thought I could save myself some money. Although,I do not want to waste money on junk. Any feedback would be great. Thanks icon_smile.gif

10 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 May 2011 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 11

Duff's line is probably not junk but check to see if his line is included in the coupon deal..sometimes certain things are not like Martha Stewart items and Cricut..

I have a Kopykake Airmaster and I love it.I have had it for 10 years and never replaced anything yet...I use it on every cake I do..

MFARAH1020 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MFARAH1020 Posted 14 May 2011 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 11

I purchased this airbrush machine and it works great.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002QRWWH4/?tag=cakecentral-20

lovinlife11 Posted 14 May 2011 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 11

I am going to to purchase it because I need it today. If it is junk I will have to return it. Thank you ladies for your help. icon_biggrin.gif

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 14 May 2011 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 11

Please report back to us when you try it out. I would love to hear your review!

lovinlife11 Posted 15 May 2011 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 11

I purchased the Duff airbrush and it is the first one I have ever used.I do not know how it compares to other units but, I really loved it. It was easy to use and it does not have a really bad overspray. It is a little hard to clean, althoug I am sure they all are. I only paid $75 for it so I am happy with the product for the price. (got to love those Michaels coupons) icon_smile.gif

RussellsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RussellsCakes Posted 15 May 2011 , 10:00pm
post #7 of 11

I used a kopycake for years when I was decorating at wal mart. We always had problems with the color spraying out of the color cup.

I've used several airbrushes. I work with model cars and have done some airbrushing on nieces and nephews batting helmets. Before I got back into cakes, my airbrush rig was an Iwata smart jet pro compressor, and an HP-c airbrush. Now that I'm back into cakes, I use the Smart Jet Compressor with an Iwata HP series gun. I could have bought cheaper guns, or something from the cake decorating world, however, I've learned when it comes to airbrushing, anything, the quality of the gun you use matters. I can almost spray a pencil line on a cake with this thing. Just think of the possibilities!

WhenTalentsCollide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhenTalentsCollide Posted 15 May 2011 , 11:29pm
post #8 of 11

I picked up the Duff kit today and will report once I get a chance to play with it, and see how it works... would like to hear others input as well...

EDIT: We used the kit tonight just playing around on paper and we were fairly pleased with the results for the cost of the system...

One thing we noticed is you can't move right to your next area you want to spray or you'll get a but of a dragging line... gotta let it sit for a split second before picking up and moving on... with some more prectice this will suffice for what we want it for...

After the 40% coupon this piece seems well worth the $74 we paid... I do wonder if other coloring options are more viable vs the Duff brand at $5 for a little bottle...

DerrellC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Posted 16 May 2011 , 6:07am
post #9 of 11

We use Amicolor. Fair price and a great assortment of colors including pearls (high sheen). Most of the time ,if you are not trying to match a special color, you can use it right out of the bottle,no deluting or thinning.

RussellsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RussellsCakes Posted 16 May 2011 , 2:03pm
post #10 of 11

I've tried the americolor stuff, seems to be good quality. However, if you can find someone who sells bakery crafts AB colors, they come in much larger bottles. I got all of my tax ID stuff set up and can order straight from them now. They have large bottles of AB color for quite cheap. I used it for my entire term at Wal Mart and had no issues at all

DerrellC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Posted 16 May 2011 , 9:59pm
post #11 of 11

thanks Russell, we will look at the BC colors next time we order. This is what makes this site work, unselfish recomendations based on experince

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%