Anyone A Member Of Ices?

Decorating By dst10spr97 Updated 18 May 2011 , 4:30pm by warchild

dst10spr97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dst10spr97 Posted 13 May 2011 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 13

I was thinking of joining the Florida chapter, but as a new caker I was wondering if it was worth it. Any pros/cons?

12 replies
sunset74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunset74 Posted 13 May 2011 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 13

I joined last September after going to the Wilton School. So far I have not gotten much out of the newsletters, but I did go to the ICES day of sharing in my state and it was pretty fun. I think it depends on how into it you are. Their is a convention every year, it is HUGE from what I am being told. I am going to this years in Charlotte. It is my understanding that each state has 2 days of sharing each year in their state at various locations. Also how into cake decoarting are you. If you are just a casual at home baker and don't want to learn that many new techniques then you might not get much out of it. But if you like to continue learning and growing as a cake decorator then you might like it.

Also see if you have any local cake clubs near you, if you do maybe go to some meetings and meet some of the local people and see what they think about joining.

dst10spr97 Posted 14 May 2011 , 3:15am
post #3 of 13

I definitely want to keep learning and growing and learning new techniques. I believe I saw a cake club in my area, I need to research it further. I was going to go to the convention this year since its not too too far, but my little one is turning 1 that weekend so we'll be celebrating!

sunset74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunset74 Posted 14 May 2011 , 4:48am
post #4 of 13

Then I would definatly look into it. I would check out your local cake club and get to know some of the people locally and they might be able to help you out even more. I know here you can attend a day of sharing without being a memeber. You might be able to contact them about their June 26th DOS. http://www.flices.org/events/default.asp That is the website, and it has the email it looks like for the lady doing the DOS. Maybe that would help you decide also.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 May 2011 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 13

The FL chapter of ICES is a large, very active group of wonderful people. I've traveled from Cleveland, OH to go to their Day of Sharing & classes.

Dollar for dollar, you just can't beat the access & learning that you get from being a member of ICES.

Rae

YellowBrickRd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YellowBrickRd Posted 14 May 2011 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 13

icon_eek.gif This is prob a dumb question...but Im assuming there is a website to check out for ICES or can you access the info on this site? I am praying there are local cake clubs here....

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 May 2011 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 13

ices.org

Rae

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 14 May 2011 , 8:37pm
post #8 of 13

I was a member of ICEs for 4 yrs. I signed up because I was hoping to attend a convention that might take place near my area, but that never happened. I enjoyed the newletter magazines, and still have them all in a binder, but I'm in Canada and thats about all I can get out of a membership. Theres never been days of sharing in my area, nor is there a cake club to attend.

I gave up my membership when ICEs sent out a notice that membership fees for international would double to $75 a year. If I had the days of sharing & other perks you guys have in the US, I would have kept it up.

ICEs link

http://www.ices.org/

dst10spr97 Posted 15 May 2011 , 2:22pm
post #9 of 13

That are members of the local clubs and that attend the DOS?

warchild Posted 16 May 2011 , 1:20am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dst10spr97

That are members of the local clubs and that attend the DOS?

I don't quite get what you mean? Are you asking if members of a local cake club also attend DOS? If so, yes, it both are in the same area and you're lucky enough to be able to attend both!

dst10spr97 Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:34pm
post #11 of 13

I was asking are there members of all ages and cakers or all abilities that attend the DOS? I don't know where the rest of my message went. icon_biggrin.gif

newcakester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakester Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:47pm
post #12 of 13

I recently joined my ICES chapter and have enjoyed it. The DOS is for all levels. I still consider myself a beginner so any knowledge I can obtain is great. You get to meet lots of people and go to some demos from top people in the industry. What a great way to "pick their brain". I have not met anyone who is not helpful or unwilling to share experiences and tips. Worth the money to me.

warchild Posted 18 May 2011 , 4:30pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dst10spr97

I was asking are there members of all ages and cakers or all abilities that attend the DOS? I don't know where the rest of my message went. icon_biggrin.gif

Ah, now that makes more sense! And yes, as the previous poster said, all ages and abilities are encouraged to attend.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%