How Do I Make Fondant Stay On A Cake Frosted W/whipped Icing

Decorating By Mommy3plus3 Updated 14 May 2011 , 11:52am by sweettreat101

Mommy3plus3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy3plus3 Posted 12 May 2011 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 5

I usually just let the icing harden a lil before I attach my fondant pieces to the cake, but sometimes the pieces on the sides start to slide icon_sad.gif Is there an easy fix for this??? I have to make a cake for this Saturday & its supposed to be warm. I dont want the icing to start to melt & the pieces to all come off of the cake!

4 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 13 May 2011 , 9:20am
post #2 of 5

How heavy are the decorations? This cake was frosted with whipped icing and a butter cream border. I pipe a circle on the back of my decorations this creates a little suction as it is placed on the cake. If the decorations are heavy like flowers I attach a toothpick with royal frosting and let it dry before attaching the decorations to my cakes. Hope this helps. http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1686079

fabray13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabray13 Posted 13 May 2011 , 10:39am
post #3 of 5

If you are using a whipping cream based frosting, you cannot use fondant decorations. The fondant absorbs the moisture from the whipping cream which turns it to slime. That is why your decorations have probably slid off.

Mommy3plus3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy3plus3 Posted 13 May 2011 , 11:16am
post #4 of 5

Thanks Sweettreat! The decorations are fairly light so I will try that.
BTW... the Quinceanera cake is BEAUTIFUL!!!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 14 May 2011 , 11:52am
post #5 of 5

The cake is decorated in non dairy whipped icing. It has fondant stars and and a fondant lace border. I didn't have any problems with the fondant melting and this isn't the first time I have placed fondant on non dairy icing. As long as you are not using whipped cream your decorations will be fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%