This Really Annoys Me

Lounge By erin2345 Updated 13 Jun 2011 , 12:54am by amanduhleigh

erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 10 May 2011 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 109

When people write "Wallah!" or "Walla!" as an exclamation -- it is "VOILA" people. It's French. I see it alot in cake tutorials/blogs for some reason, and I feel the need to educate icon_smile.gif

108 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 10 May 2011 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 109

Good luck with that. It's been driving me nuts for years. It's not "viola" either, but at least that one gets a chuckle out of me cuz my son actually plays the viola (the instrument, not the flower icon_wink.gif )

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 10 May 2011 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 109

Grates my nerves.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 10 May 2011 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 109

It seems like the people responding to this post already knew this and are annoyed by it, as well. You may be preaching to the choir! icon_smile.gif

sweeteypie1118 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteypie1118 Posted 10 May 2011 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 109

I have never seen that before. My pet peeve is when people need to "loose" weight!! icon_biggrin.gif Now THAT one I see constantly

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 May 2011 , 12:12am
post #6 of 109

...or when they need advise instead of advice!

Also, don't want to waist something instead of waste it.

cakeroach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeroach Posted 11 May 2011 , 12:21am
post #7 of 109

What peeves me is when people can't get "their", "there", and "they're" right, or "to", "two", and "too".

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 11 May 2011 , 12:22am
post #8 of 109

And, of course, "you're" versus "your". That one always kills me.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 11 May 2011 , 12:39am
post #9 of 109

And how about "advise" for advice? I second the list. Yes, preaching to the choir, but it feels good to hear others feel the same.

Jan

SweetcakesCT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetcakesCT Posted 11 May 2011 , 12:41am
post #10 of 109

Or "your" and "you're"............as an English major, that gets my goat every time!!

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 11 May 2011 , 1:05am
post #11 of 109

Sounds like me and you are on the same plain about right grammer!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 11 May 2011 , 1:11am
post #12 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed82

actually, it is "you and I" not me and you

MJ2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJ2008 Posted 11 May 2011 , 1:23am
post #13 of 109

That drives me crazy too. I also can't stand when people say "I seen." It's "I saw" or "I have seen," but so many people can't seem to get that one right.

AuntieE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieE Posted 11 May 2011 , 1:25am
post #14 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesnj

Quote:

And it's plane, not plain.

ChucKles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChucKles Posted 11 May 2011 , 1:49am
post #15 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesnj

Quote:

And it's plane, not plain.

I think it's intentional icon_wink.gif

CakeDiva101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva101 Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:22am
post #16 of 109

What some people here seems to forget is that some of us are from other Countries and English is not our first language. And yet here we are, communicating. So, some people can not spell as good as some others. God forbid! icon_confused.gif

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:32am
post #17 of 109

Thank you. I am properly chastened. I need to be more charitable. Yes, we are communicating and this is a wonderful forum to do so. I have learned so much here, and not just cake info.

Once again, I appreciate your insight.

Jan

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:37am
post #18 of 109

When I saw this thread I laughed so hard I couldn't breath. I lost my breathe! HAHAHAHA!

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:40am
post #19 of 109

hahahahahahah ooo ya'll are going to HATE ME!!! I am the queen of typos and misspellings! Pretty sure this post might include a few! Not intentional, just I AM TIRED and after spending an entire day of being grammatically correct, I get online and let loose! Don't read any of my future posts hahahahaha!!!!

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:51am
post #20 of 109

Ok, ok, I've been fighting the urge to post this one, but I can't stand it when people say "anywayS". It's "anyway". Drop the S. Even if your a poor speller, it's easy to drop the S! icon_smile.gif

BurnsyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BurnsyJ Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:57am
post #21 of 109

It's "a lot" not "alot." Two words. That gets me.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 11 May 2011 , 3:04am
post #22 of 109

We are going to see this more and more with the increase of iPads/iPhones/Blackberrys, etc. My iPad tries to guess what I am typing as zi am typing. I guess they have pre-programmed certain words into the software. For instance, when I type the word "kids" it changes it to "kid's". There are lots of others. It is very annoying. I try to catch as many as I can, but when I am tired, I miss a lot.

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 11 May 2011 , 3:25am
post #23 of 109

One of my pet peeves is when people say things like, "The dishes need washed." No, the dishes need washING. Or they need TO BE washed.

And I'm so used to seeing "greatful" that sometimes when I type it properly ("grateful"), I second-guess myself!

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 11 May 2011 , 3:40am
post #24 of 109

I find that I frequently make a typo, either spelling or maybe even using the wrong word, but I believe that every one can figure out what I mean, just as I can with others even though they might use the wrong word now an again. My advise is "don't sweat the small stuff" My husband is in a nursing home, and there are so many people there that have real problems, that I can't get excited over a mistake in grammer.

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 11 May 2011 , 3:48am
post #25 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKake

I find that I frequently make a typo, either spelling or maybe even using the wrong word, but I believe that every one can figure out what I mean, just as I can with others even though they might use the wrong word now an again. My advise is "don't sweat the small stuff" My husband is in a nursing home, and there are so many people there that have real problems, that I can't get excited over a mistake in grammer.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 11 May 2011 , 10:31am
post #26 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentCakeBaker

We are going to see this more and more with the increase of iPads/iPhones/Blackberrys, etc. My iPad tries to guess what I am typing as zi am typing. I guess they have pre-programmed certain words into the software. For instance, when I type the word "kids" it changes it to "kid's". There are lots of others. It is very annoying. I try to catch as many as I can, but when I am tired, I miss a lot.

Ooooh the messages I have sent with my Droid phone. Some of them have been hilarious and some of them ....let's just say oops icon_redface.gif
icon_lol.gif

katnmouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katnmouse Posted 11 May 2011 , 11:05am
post #27 of 109

Well it is very obvious none of you are the parents of anyone in my 3rd grade class. If you were, they wouldn't have the difficult time they've had with grammar. hahaha

One of my biggest pet peeves is the correct use of the pronouns "I and me". It is incorrectly used by celebrities, newscasters, authors, and many, many, many regular people. It drives me crazy especially when I read it...shouldn't the editors catch basics like that?

If the pronoun is in the subject of the sentence, it will be "I".
If the pronoun is in the predicate of the sentence, it will be "me".
If all else fails remove the other person's name from the sentence and see if your choice of "I or me" sounds right standing on its own.

Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 11 May 2011 , 11:28am
post #28 of 109

wallah or walla is actually an arabic word written in english letter! icon_razz.gif it used t o express "really!"
well at least this is wat it is for me.. i dont know is it is anything else in another language!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 May 2011 , 11:55am
post #29 of 109

Laughing so hard at all of these because I agree with 'em to the hilt! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Especially the 3 forms of "their"; the "two's" and the "your".

I know a person who luvs to say "varely" (rhymes with "rarely"). As in "She varely made it to the store before it closed." Uh ... the word is BARELY!!! She BARELY made it to the store before it closed!!!!! To top it off, it is this person's favorite word! Drives me INSANE!!!!!!!!!!

FYI .... I can never keep straight " its's " vs. " its ". icon_redface.gif It has been explained to me over and over and I just can't remember which is which. So I am A-OK with anyone correcting my misuse of that one! Maybe if I get hit in the head enough times, it might sink in! icon_rolleyes.gif

myKzooKid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myKzooKid Posted 11 May 2011 , 12:12pm
post #30 of 109

I've seen enough of these word mixups written all over sites that are clearly by English as a First Language speaking individuals to loose my mind. That's my favorite - loose instead of lose!

Indy, I always try to think of it as the apostrophe keeping the two words "It" and "Is" separate and no apostrophe indicates the possessive. It's difficult sometimes and I have to think carefully for its proper placement. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%