Wiltons Cross Pan

Decorating By graciesj Updated 11 May 2011 , 12:15pm by graciesj

graciesj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
graciesj Posted 10 May 2011 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 13

this is my 1st time using this pan and thankfully the cake came out nicely. I'm wondering if I should slice it in half to fill it or just leave it alone. the cake will be covered in bc, they don't want fondant. I'm not which way to go. If anyone has made these before could you please let me know if I should cut it in half and fill it or not. the thickest part of the cake is about 3 inches and where I would cut it is 1inch. thank-you

12 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 13

I have used this pan a couple of times and I did not torte the cake.

Aurora_333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aurora_333 Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 13

I have also used this pan a couple of times and didn't torte it.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 13

I have made this cake several times and because of the sloped sides it makes the cake look too skinny so I always bake two cakes and then invert them or cut the top off of the one cake and then just fill and stack.Gives a really nice high cake...

graciesj Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 13

Wow thank-youicon_smile.gif I was hoping for a different answer because I like them torted icon_smile.gif However, I do appreciate and need to know what you experienced bakers have done and do. So far it's a no on tortingicon_sad.gif((((
I guess it would make it easier to decorateicon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:03pm
post #6 of 13

Well when you sandwich two cakes together you get a torte.

graciesj Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:03pm
post #7 of 13

[quote="Kiddiekakes"]I have made this cake several times and because of the sloped sides it makes the cake look too skinny so I always bake two cakes and then invert them or cut the top off of the one cake and then just fill and stack.Gives a really nice high cake...[/quote]

I just took a look at yours and yes it looks higher. That's a great ideaicon_smile.gifthank-you

Kiddiekakes Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:04pm
post #8 of 13

Well when you sandwich two cakes together you get a torte.

Kiddiekakes Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:09pm
post #9 of 13

I just posted my new one in my pictures..Have a look!!

graciesj Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:55pm
post #10 of 13

I will thank-youicon_smile.gif

graciesj Posted 10 May 2011 , 11:03pm
post #11 of 13

[quote="Kiddiekakes"]I just posted my new one in my pictures..Have a look!![/quote]

I just took a look and wow that's awesome. I love butter cream work. This one I'm doing is also BC but I wish to leave it white and accent it with blue flowers. I wish to know how to give the 2 tone affect with the bc. Would you mind sharing that technique?thank-you

Kiddiekakes Posted 11 May 2011 , 11:17am
post #12 of 13

Graciesj....I airbrushed the bottom border and the top frame around.The flowers are also airbrushed the same hue.I also took a small spatula a did the centre cross section with blue icing and then piped around the corners to give it a crisp look.

graciesj Posted 11 May 2011 , 12:15pm
post #13 of 13

aaaaahhh the famous airbrush! I have yet to invest in oneicon_sad.gif((( I'm sure I'll design this one perfectly without it. there's always next timeicon_smile.gif thank-you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%