Carrot Cake And Mmf?!?!?

Decorating By lolobell Updated 13 May 2011 , 2:14am by sharriff

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 10 May 2011 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 8

hello!

my chiropractor wants me to make a cake for his son's 21st birthday. at a total loss of what to make...but that's another story!!

he told me his favorite is carrot cake...but they want me to use my MMF.told them i wasn't sure that would pair well....

so, i ask you:
will it?!!?!?!?!? ha ha
if so, is carrot cake sturdy enough to hold up under fondant?
i assume i would need a crusting cream cheese frosting?

7 replies
wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 8

I have covered carrot cake with regular fondant , using a crusting orange flavoured buttercream underneath . Its the mothers day cake in my pics . Im sure marshmallow fondant would be just fine too .

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 8

I've done it, too. I didn't have a good cream cheese frosting recipe at the time to put under it, but the next time I make one, I'm going to use the crusting cream cheese recipe I found on here. But the cake (which was the citrus carrot cake in the recipe section here - yummmm!) held up just fine under fondant. I wouldn't care to try to carve this cake, but a regular-shaped cake (round, in my case) did fine.

buttercuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercuppie Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 8

I did it last week. I filled the carrot with my cream cheese filling and then did a nice crumb coat with SMBC. As soon as it was hard, I covered it like I do my normal cakes...told the client to take it out about 30 minutes before serving. She just stopped by and told me how fantastic it was. I use Massa Ticino Fondant...

I know it's a different fondant, but at least I can say what happened with the carrot cake holding up underneath fondant. I'd personally be hesitant to use a cream cheese crumb coat under fondant because I think it would be too soft...just my personal opinion.

HTH

EnglishCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnglishCakeLady Posted 10 May 2011 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 8

I have also covered lots of carrot cakes in fondant in my time. In my experience people just leave the fondant anyway, so it doesn't matter that the tastes don't necessarily go together! I used a cream cheese frosting before applying the fondant. The cake always seems to hold up OK!

lolobell Posted 11 May 2011 , 3:43am
post #6 of 8

thanks so very much everyone!!!

appreciate your input!
i have less fear in my bones now about trying something new!

lolobell Posted 11 May 2011 , 3:47am
post #7 of 8

another question...

i never ever store my cakes once covered in MMF in the frig. i haven't had good luck with it's appearance once it's out of the frig...

if i make a traditional carrot cake...with a crusting cream cheese frosting..filling and about a 1/4 inch layer under fondant...
do i have to put it in the frig???????

it would be delivered on a tuesday AM...to be eaten the following day wednesday.

sharriff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharriff Posted 13 May 2011 , 2:14am
post #8 of 8

I've had luck mixing rolled buttercream and MMF and putting cakes in the fridge. As for leaving it out, some say yes but I was told at my local cake shop cream cheese frosting should not be left out for over 2 hours.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%