Carrot Cake And Mmf???

Baking By lolobell Updated 11 May 2011 , 2:28pm by JenFailla

lolobell Posted 10 May 2011 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 11

my chiropractor wants me to make a cake for his son's 21st birthday. at a total loss of what to make...but that's another story!!

he told me his favorite is carrot cake...but they want me to use my MMF..told them i wasn't sure that would pair well....

so, i ask you:
will it?!!?!?!?!? ha ha
if so, is carrot cake sturdy enough to hold up under fondant?
i assume i would need a crusting cream cheese frosting?

10 replies
jewordsoflife Posted 10 May 2011 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 11

I would think that it would be fine. I myself am looking for a crusting cream cheese bc recipe. I'm making a red velvet cake this that I need it for and I'm planning to cover it with fondant. Hope someone out there has a recipe icon_smile.gif

cakegirl1973 Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 11

I've covered a carrot cake with MMF before, and it worked out just fine. Most people peel off the fondant and don't eat it, anyway.

KSMill Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 11

I've used this crusting cream cheese recipe posted by aztomcat a number of times and people just love it.

JenFailla Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 11

I've done it before, as it's hubby's favorite flavor. I just made sure there was a hefty helping of cream cheese buttercream under the fondant.... it turned out great. Good luck!

lolobell Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:48pm
post #6 of 11

thanks everyone!!!!

I appreciate the tips and the recipe...

JenFailla would you share yours as well?!

i feel so much better about trying it now!!! anyone have their favorite carrot cake recipe!?!?

many thanks...

JenFailla Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:52pm
post #7 of 11

I just looked at previous posts and KSMill uses the same cream cheese recipe I use- but here is the carrot cake that I use:

Good Luck!

lolobell Posted 11 May 2011 , 3:46am
post #8 of 11

another question...

i never ever store my cakes once covered in MMF in the frig. i haven't had good luck with it's appearance once it's out of the frig...

if i make a traditional carrot cake...with a crusting cream cheese frosting..filling and about a 1/4 inch layer under fondant...
do i have to put it in the frig???????

it would be delivered on a tuesday be eaten the following day wednesday.

JenFailla Posted 11 May 2011 , 1:57pm
post #9 of 11

I've heard that Earlene's cream cheese buttercream does not need to be kept in the fridge. Here is the link to her's:

lolobell Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:01pm
post #10 of 11

thank you!

what is BUTAVAN?

JenFailla Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:28pm
post #11 of 11

From what I've seen- butavan is a butter/vanilla emulsifier. I believe you have to order it- if there is no time for that, i'd just substitute equal parts vanilla extract and butter flavoring (I get mine at michaels). Butavan is thick like pudding if I understand correctly- so if it was me- I'd make the recipe and thenadd extra powdered sugar if necessary. I am by no means an expert- so if anyone thinks my idea stinks- please say so- I won't be offended!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%