Carrot Cake And Mmf???

Baking By lolobell Updated 11 May 2011 , 2:28pm by JenFailla

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 10 May 2011 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 11

hello!

my chiropractor wants me to make a cake for his son's 21st birthday. at a total loss of what to make...but that's another story!!

he told me his favorite is carrot cake...but they want me to use my MMF..told them i wasn't sure that would pair well....

so, i ask you:
will it?!!?!?!?!? ha ha
if so, is carrot cake sturdy enough to hold up under fondant?
i assume i would need a crusting cream cheese frosting?

10 replies
jewordsoflife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewordsoflife Posted 10 May 2011 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 11

I would think that it would be fine. I myself am looking for a crusting cream cheese bc recipe. I'm making a red velvet cake this that I need it for and I'm planning to cover it with fondant. Hope someone out there has a recipe icon_smile.gif

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 11

I've covered a carrot cake with MMF before, and it worked out just fine. Most people peel off the fondant and don't eat it, anyway.

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 11

I've used this crusting cream cheese recipe posted by aztomcat a number of times and people just love it. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6817/wedding-crusting-cream-cheese-frosting

JenFailla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenFailla Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 11

I've done it before, as it's hubby's favorite flavor. I just made sure there was a hefty helping of cream cheese buttercream under the fondant.... it turned out great. Good luck!

lolobell Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:48pm
post #6 of 11

thanks everyone!!!!

I appreciate the tips and the recipe...

JenFailla would you share yours as well?!

i feel so much better about trying it now!!! anyone have their favorite carrot cake recipe!?!?

icon_smile.gif
many thanks...

JenFailla Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:52pm
post #7 of 11

I just looked at previous posts and KSMill uses the same cream cheese recipe I use- but here is the carrot cake that I use: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6073/carrot-cake-straight-up

Good Luck!

lolobell Posted 11 May 2011 , 3:46am
post #8 of 11

another question...

i never ever store my cakes once covered in MMF in the frig. i haven't had good luck with it's appearance once it's out of the frig...

if i make a traditional carrot cake...with a crusting cream cheese frosting..filling and about a 1/4 inch layer under fondant...
do i have to put it in the frig???????

it would be delivered on a tuesday AM...to be eaten the following day wednesday.

JenFailla Posted 11 May 2011 , 1:57pm
post #9 of 11

I've heard that Earlene's cream cheese buttercream does not need to be kept in the fridge. Here is the link to her's:

http://www.earlenescakes.com/icings.htm

HTH!

lolobell Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:01pm
post #10 of 11

thank you!

what is BUTAVAN?

JenFailla Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:28pm
post #11 of 11

From what I've seen- butavan is a butter/vanilla emulsifier. I believe you have to order it- if there is no time for that, i'd just substitute equal parts vanilla extract and butter flavoring (I get mine at michaels). Butavan is thick like pudding if I understand correctly- so if it was me- I'd make the recipe and thenadd extra powdered sugar if necessary. I am by no means an expert- so if anyone thinks my idea stinks- please say so- I won't be offended!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%