Irish Car Bomb Recipe

Baking By steffla Updated 11 May 2011 , 8:54pm by steffla

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 10 May 2011 , 3:26am
post #1 of 14

Hi there! The gourmet flavors thread has been silent for a while so I am trying my question this way...

So here's my question..about to make the Irish car bomb cake which is one I've never made before. Anyone who has made it have any advice or suggestions?

For the filling, I am doing the white choc truffle as suggested and I really needed to know approximately how much baileys to add to it to make the Irish cream filling. I am hoping this will be stable enough to carve because I need to carve a foot!

Any advice would be appreciated

13 replies
yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 10 May 2011 , 3:51am
post #2 of 14

Do you bake from scratch or a box? I'm a box baker, so I would use the WASC receipe and use Guiness as my liquid. Although I have read somewhere about reducing it first, by boiling the extra liquid out, so you're left with almost like a syrupy consistancy. Then I would do as you're saying and add Bailey's to a buttercream - as for how much, I'm not really sure. I would just do a little at a time until I got the flavor I wanted. You could also used Bailey's like a simple syrup is used, and put some directly onto the cake. Yum!

steffla Posted 10 May 2011 , 5:25am
post #3 of 14

Thanks! I do both box and scratch depending on the cake. For this I was going to use macsmom's version of the Waac but it is based in chocolate cake mixes...is that right or odd? I hate guiness so it's hard for me to come up with.

My larger concern however isif it will be too soft to carve or is a fairly sturdy cake? Plus I was thinking of a baileys buttercream but also considering the baileys white chocolate truffle but I just wasn't sure how much baileys to add. Will start with a tablespoon and a tasting spoon, lol!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 11 May 2011 , 5:58am
post #4 of 14

Irish Car Bomb recipes usually have Jameson Irish Whiskey too. It is usually added to a chocolate ganache filling. Epicurious has a great stout recipe. The icing made with Bailey's would complete the drink recipe. If no Jameson, it's really a chocolate stout cake with a Bailey's Frosting.

steffla Posted 11 May 2011 , 6:01am
post #5 of 14

Great to know, I wouldn't have realized that! Well, I guess i made a stout cake with baileys filling...by the way, yum! Lol

****edited to say...

So I decided to ice the cake in a whiskey spiked chocolate ganache under the fondant! Now it is a true Irish car bomb in it's combination of flavors! Thanks so much for pointing that out! I'm not a drinker and just didn't realize what the drink was. Saw the recipe and it sounded good but now I'm sure it will be even better!

scp1127 Posted 11 May 2011 , 6:34am
post #6 of 14

steffla, I never drink a drop, but I cook and bake like crazy with alcohol. The health inspector gets a big laugh when she sees my huge supply of spirits and liqueur right beside the flour and sugar. I am in the process of developing an Absinthe cupcake.

steffla Posted 11 May 2011 , 7:04am
post #7 of 14

Wow, I dont even know what that is! Lol! I would love to stay in touchicon_smile.gif

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 11 May 2011 , 8:00am
post #8 of 14

Not sure whether you gals realise that the name that has been chosen for this particular cake is REALLY offensive to people from the UK - and other places!

I know you will all say.... It's ONLY cake! but it is similar to calling something after 9/11

There is a thread on the BSGUK Forum.... talking about it .... and they are saying it is in VERY POOR TASTE!

I have to agree - surely it could be described/called something more 'politically correct' or at least treated with a little more 'sensitivity'!

grandmaruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmaruth Posted 11 May 2011 , 9:27am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumPam

Not sure whether you gals realise that the name that has been chosen for this particular cake is REALLY offensive to people from the UK - and other places!

I know you will all say.... It's ONLY cake! but it is similar to calling something after 9/11

There is a thread on the BSGUK Forum.... talking about it .... and they are saying it is in VERY POOR TASTE!

I have to agree - surely it could be described/called something more 'politically correct' or at least treated with a little more 'sensitivity'!

I have said exactly the same thing when questions on the I.C.B. cake appeared before .....it is not a politically correct thing...it is just wrong....Imagine a question on the Twin Towers 911 cake....please all you imaginative bakers...come up with a new name!

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 11 May 2011 , 9:58am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumPam

I have said exactly the same thing when questions on the I.C.B. cake appeared before .....it is not a politically correct thing...it is just wrong....Imagine a question on the Twin Towers 911 cake....please all you imaginative bakers...come up with a new name!

Wow, I was thinking I was just being over-sensitive - but I'm glad to know I'm not alone! Isn't it the name of a drink, anyway? Sadly I doubt that name would get changed. And since the cake flavor gets its name from the drink...

Sad. Just sad. I hope it can be re-named, too.

rosa369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosa369 Posted 11 May 2011 , 11:18am
post #11 of 14

Can someone post the recipe, please? I could'n find it in the recipe section.

rosa369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosa369 Posted 11 May 2011 , 11:24am
post #12 of 14

Can someone post the recipe, please? I could'n find it in the recipe section.

scp1127 Posted 11 May 2011 , 7:51pm
post #13 of 14

On my site, it has the longest name... Chocolate Guiness Stout Cupcakes with Jameson Ganache and Bailey's Buttercream.

I choose not to use the real name, but that is how it is referenced. The drink is popular, but so is a kamikaze... siucide bomber killing a group of people. That is not going to change. We can just choose not to use it.

In the OP's defence, when I was getting recipes together to create my own recipe, I searched "Irish Car Bomb cupcakes". My million mile name would probably yield no results. If she did not reference it the way she did, I would probably skipped the question. If I named my cupcake "Irish Car Bomb", the name recognition would definitely bring more sales because the general public that drinks alcohol... and the most likely people to order that cupcake... would see the connection.

When referencing on the internet, the searches do not recognize "polite" or "politically correct". You must type in exactly what you are looking for.

Steffla, I have several cupcakes that will appeal to men as a novelty. The Absinthe recipe is one of them. Because it was banned in the US until recently, and is still monitored for its hallucinogenic effects, it creates the idea of it being taboo. Of all of my alcoholic offerings, this one is the most challenging. I create the syrup by going through the Absinthe ritual, spoon, sugar cube, flames and all. The problem is that it has a overwhelming licorice taste. And even though it is not as potent as the original, it will still make your lips numb. It makes for a good description, but I have to make it taste good too. I use top shelf alcohol in about 40% of the baked goods I offer. It takes the taste to a whole new level and the recipes get rave reviews. Also, it makes my cakes hard to copy and it sets mine apart. The customer can't actually taste the alcohol, but it is different. Last night I added Makers Mark to my pastry cream. It just took the flat, one-dimensional flavor, and strengthened the original flavor. If you want any suggestions, I will be happy to share.

steffla Posted 11 May 2011 , 8:54pm
post #14 of 14

I must say...I am just a bit shocked here. I admit, in my ignorance that it never once occurred to me to research the story of the drimk's name. I was inspired by a recipe I saw and as stated by the previous poster, when researching, suggesting or selling flavors to our customers, the name is recognizable and people instantly know what taste to expect.

There is not a bar in site here that doesn't sell kamikaze drinks as well. Offensive or not, it's just a drink everyone knows . Any Irish American people Ii have been in contact with find no offense as it is just known to be a drink name. I never tried to offend anyone but I agree if it is upsetting for you , it should be renamed or not sold to your customers. When I have customers placing an order for this flavor ,from an Irish person especially, I feel rather certain it wasn't considered offensive to them.

I respect your opinions completely and if it were ever brought to me by a customer or potential customer I would certainly make a change. Thank you for bringing awareness to something I may never have realized.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%