My First Wedding Cake Help Please

Decorating By dawnlouiseharman Updated 10 May 2011 , 10:40am by dawnlouiseharman

dawnlouiseharman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnlouiseharman Posted 9 May 2011 , 10:04am
post #1 of 5

So im doing my first wedding cake (fruit) I have marzipanned it and was wondering if there was any preporation needed before applying the fondant? Do you apply fondant straight onto the marzipan? also do you need to coat the marpipan with anything or will the fondant stick? please help i am self taught

Thank you icon_biggrin.gif

Also are cake designs copyright? the lady printed a picture of a cake made in the US she wants a simalar design with a few colour changes. i will not be using any pictures for promotional material. Is this deemed acceptible in the cake world?

4 replies
Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 9 May 2011 , 12:03pm
post #2 of 5

I normally brush some boiled and cooled water on the marzipan and then sugarpaste the cake. It must be just damp, so not too much water.

Cake designs are not copyrighted. It is a curtesy to mention the original designer and some people let them know that they will be recreating a cake, howerver it is not illegal.

You can use a picture of your own cake for any purpose, just dont use the one the bride gave you on website ect.

HTH

dawnlouiseharman Posted 9 May 2011 , 1:25pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you very much that was very helpful icon_biggrin.gif its so exciting i cannot wait until its finished. Do you leave your marzipan on the cake for a while or can i fondant it straight away?

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 9 May 2011 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 5

I prefer to leave my mazipaned cake for 24 hours, but I know some people will sugarpaste it right away.

dawnlouiseharman Posted 10 May 2011 , 10:40am
post #5 of 5

thank you, you have been a fantastic help thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%