Cocktail Cupcakes

Baking By indy5 Updated 30 Jul 2011 , 12:22am by SweetSuzieQ

indy5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indy5 Posted 7 May 2011 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 15

I try putting vodka inside the batter but the cake didn't rise very well. How to make cocktail infused cupcakes?

14 replies
SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 7 May 2011 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 15

I think you either brush it on the cooled cake, or make a filling with it.

indy5 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 15

thank u secret cake agent

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 1:54am
post #4 of 15

It all depends on what you want in the end. Many of my offerings are infused with alcohol. For vodka, the problem is that vodka when reduced or baked, does not have the best flavor... why it is rarely ordered straight. If you have a particular alcohol you want to use, I will let you know how I have done it successfully. The right complimentary combination is important too.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:11am
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

It all depends on what you want in the end. Many of my offerings are infused with alcohol. For vodka, the problem is that vodka when reduced or baked, does not have the best flavor... why it is rarely ordered straight. If you have a particular alcohol you want to use, I will let you know how I have done it successfully. The right complimentary combination is important too.

Oo, oo! I've got a few.... (jumping up and down with hand raised!)

I've got some chambord, blackberry brandy, and white chocolate Godiva liqueur that were in a gift basket that my DH received from a client. Any ideas?

scp1127 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:31am
post #6 of 15

All of your liqueurs will be perfect to brush on the top of the cupcakes. IMBC can handle about 1 TBSP liqueur per stick of butter... in my recipe. For the Chambord is great when paired in any form with gourmet raspberry jam. I seldom use the liqueur in all three... cake, filling, frosting. Except if you want to feature the liqueur. Example: Kalhua Cupcake brushed with Kahlua, added to the ganache (swirled on top in a thin layer), then added to the IMBC or FBC.

My booziest is a take on the Irish Car Bomb drink. I don't use the name, but it does have the longest name on my site. I start with a Guiness Stout cc, Jameson infused ganache, and Bailey's IMBC. I hate chocolate but these are some of the most interesting cc's I've tasted. I am actually working on an Absinthe cc.

The consistency of the Godiva is perfect for adding to IMBC. Make sure you heat your sugar syrup to 245 and the peaks are stiff. This will make a stronger IMBC that can handle the huge addition of liquid. The buttercream still holds perfect edges when piped with the star tip.

I use cognac (older brandy) in some of my cakes as an "extract". For example, you could use a tsp or two of the blackberry brandy to your yellow cake, fill with puree or preserves, and put both the brandy and the fruit in the buttercream.

Using alcohol adds so many opportunities for deep flavor. My yellow cake has two tsp of Hennesy (plus plenty of vanilla) and the flavor is so good we love it plain.

Have fun!

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:40am
post #7 of 15

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuu!! I love these ideas. You should write a cookbook. icon_biggrin.gif

scp1127 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:48am
post #8 of 15

I love shopping at the liquor store. Experimenting with the minis is fun. And I do not drink alcohol at all. My cooking is filled with it too. Especially chicken with white wine and pork and beef with brandy.

Two other great dessert spirits are Calvados (apple) and Limoncello (lemon).

indy5 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 3:24am
post #9 of 15

thanks scp u were very helpful i had gave up on the cocktail cupcakes but when i had read ur reply u gave me hop again thanks again.

GuiltyPleasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GuiltyPleasures Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 6:45am
post #10 of 15

Oh, this is perfect. I often cook with alcohol in my cooking and baking. I am going to be making a chocolate Kahlua cake and cupcakes (which I add about 1/2 to 3/4 cups of Kahlua into my batter). However I was thinking this time I would also add it to my simply syrup but I am not sure how much to add without it being overpowering. Do you have any suggestions for this SCP1127?

I have found the the flavor of the Kahlua (and Bailey's too for that matter) is very subtle when added to the chocolate cake so I was hoping adding it to the syrup might help accent the flavor.

scp1127 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 7:34am
post #11 of 15

Kahlua and Baileys are perfect to brush on your chocolate cakes. You are losing the taste when you bake them. You don't need a simple syrup either. Just take a pastry brush and soak them on full strengh. You will have a pronounced taste on the first day and then it becomes more subtle. If you want to test the amount, pull out enough batter to make two cupcakes. You will be surprised how much you can use.

What type of buttercream do you use? This is a perfect way to enhance the kahlua or to add a complimentary liqueur. I use mainly IMBC. In the burttercream, my rule of thumb is 1 tbsp per stick of butter. Example: If I make a 1.5x recipe with six sticks of butter, I can use 6 tbsp of liqueur.

GuiltyPleasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GuiltyPleasures Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 12:10pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Kahlua and Baileys are perfect to brush on your chocolate cakes. You are losing the taste when you bake them. You don't need a simple syrup either. Just take a pastry brush and soak them on full strengh. You will have a pronounced taste on the first day and then it becomes more subtle. If you want to test the amount, pull out enough batter to make two cupcakes. You will be surprised how much you can use.

What type of buttercream do you use? This is a perfect way to enhance the kahlua or to add a complimentary liqueur. I use mainly IMBC. In the burttercream, my rule of thumb is 1 tbsp per stick of butter. Example: If I make a 1.5x recipe with six sticks of butter, I can use 6 tbsp of liqueur.

The buttercream that most often gets asked for is the one that as the 50/50 split of butter/Crisco and powdered sugar. For a 1/2 cup butter and a 1/2 cup Crisco I normally add about 1/4 cup of alcohol. I think my favorite is chocolate frosting with a very good amaretto added in. Yummy! I have never added it to IMBC. Next time I get a request for that I wil pull some aside and try adding a little alcohol. Thanks for the info!

jhoffmann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhoffmann Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 12:18pm
post #13 of 15

I have used grand marnier on a apricot sheet cake and made petit fours. I used quite a lot, but it tasted AWESOME.

Tzoavva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tzoavva Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 9:18pm
post #14 of 15

I tried this recipe for Cosmopolitan Cupcakes found on this site and it was preaty good
http://www.thenovicechefblog.com/2010/05/cosmopolitan-cupcakes/

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 12:22am
post #15 of 15

I also saw a really cool idea on Cupcake Wars where the baker insterted a straw type thing in the frosted cupcake and poured liquor into it. I imagine a tequila shot with a tangy lemon cupcake chaser! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%