Hair Color Done Wrong Need Some Advice

Lounge By baking_fool Updated 9 May 2011 , 2:39pm by luvmysmoother

baking_fool Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baking_fool Posted 6 May 2011 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 13

Hello all so I went to get my hair highlighted the other day, I took in a picture so that it would be easier for me to describe what I wanted. I understand that the color cant be exact to the picture and that is fine but I do expect it to be close.

Well I wanted a purple shade in fine streaks or highlights, not sure exactly what it is called. I came out with a red/orange shade of highlight that faded out to nothing by the time they reached the level of my ears.

When I left the salon I was hoping the color would look different in a different light, but nope, and I did not notice the highlights did not go to the bottom of my hair till I left. I just looks like my hair is brown now, so needless to say I was not happy with it.

Here is my problem. I called the salon back to tell them that I wanted to fix it. They lady I talked to was very nice and understanding and said she would have the stylist call me and we would set up a time. Well when I called back to make sure I was still going to get this set up (the salon did not call me back after a few hours so I called back) they told me of course they will fix everything, they also mentioned that they lady who originally did my hair was very upset but she would call me back. Well now I feel very bad that I made her upset but at the same time I am upset to pay money and not get even close to what I asked for. How do I handle this situation? I have never called a salon to complain.

12 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 May 2011 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 13

If they are any kind of business they will bring you back in and have the problem fixed.I understand the stylist MAY be upset also but you are right...You are upset too since it was not what you asked for or wanted...Go to the appaointment and be polite and just state that it wasn't what you envisoned/expected and could they try and fix it..If they are a good salon and value their customers they will have no problem fixing it.Don't worry...It will get fixed...

baking_fool Posted 6 May 2011 , 9:45pm
post #3 of 13

thank you so much for saying that, I am upset, I think the biggest thing bugging me is that the top of my head is one color and the bottom another. My hair looks brown, and I always loved my black hair. I will go in tomorrow and hope all goes well. Thanks for the help and support icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 May 2011 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 13

Where I go, if the stylist doesn't do what you ask them too and you don't like it, they are suppose to fix it with in a week.

I know there are times when you are shocked by a hair cut or color and it may need to grow on you. But next time you have any issues I would express concern before you leave.

The girl may be upset, because she may have felt like she did a good job. Think about how we feel when we make a cake, it is what we think we are asked to do, then the customer hates it. She'll get over it.

If it was just a color issue then that can be fixed. If it is a something in the excruciation, like the highlights not going all the way to the ends of the hair, then both her and the salon do need to be aware of it.

Have you used her before? If not I'd give her a chance to fix it. Don't leave the second time until you are totally happy with it. And if she can't do it how you want, then I would look into someone else to do you hair.

I'm lucky to find the girl I use. She's done a great job. I'll give her some direction, as in I want my hair this long or this short, and what colors I want. And I've also told her to do what ever she wants. Now when you do that, you can't really complain in the end. icon_smile.gif

baking_fool Posted 6 May 2011 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 13

That makes sense, that is why I feel bad because I did leave with out saying any thing I thought the color would look different in different light and did not notice the lenght of the highlights till after I left. I hope she can fix it, To be honest I will be happy if they can make the highlights go to the ends of my hair and the same color all the way through.

TexasSugar Posted 6 May 2011 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 13

I do agree with the different light thing. And I'm sure they will too. I hope they fix it for you.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 7 May 2011 , 2:01am
post #7 of 13

I would suggest you bring the same photo when you go back and before the stylist does anything, have a consultation with the stylist AND the manager so there are no misunderstandings. If you feel at all uncomfortable, then ask either for a different stylist to fix it or for the manager to do it. You don't want to know how I learned that lesson icon_redface.gif

Mamasan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamasan Posted 7 May 2011 , 8:14pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

I would suggest you bring the same photo when you go back and before the stylist does anything, have a consultation with the stylist AND the manager so there are no misunderstandings. If you feel at all uncomfortable, then ask either for a different stylist to fix it or for the manager to do it. You don't want to know how I learned that lesson icon_redface.gif

I agree to a certain extent - I would ask the manager / owner to fix your hair. Black or very dark brown hair is very tricky when highlighting and some stylists unfortunately don't understand this. Mine has no problem saying that a specific cut or color will not suit me and has refused to do some which I highly respect her for.

baking_fool Posted 7 May 2011 , 11:09pm
post #9 of 13

I agree to a certain extent - I would ask the manager / owner to fix your hair. Black or very dark brown hair is very tricky when highlighting and some stylists unfortunately don't understand this. Mine has no problem saying that a specific cut or color will not suit me and has refused to do some which I highly respect her for.[/quote]

I compleatly understand this and if she had told me up front that the color would not work or that they would have to bleach my hair I would have probably talked with her to come up with some thing new, but she just said she could do it.

So as an update I went in today to talk with the manager and set up the app, the manager was very nice and told me they were going to have to pick up the highlights and lighten the areas of the hair that will be colored. But she said she could fix it and give me the correct color.

I was very happy with the experience. There was one thing that made me very angry though. When I was waiting to talk to the manager the lady who did my hair to begin with was there, she refused to look at me or even acknowledge that I was there, she pretended that she did not see me when it was obvious that she knew I was there. She even went as far as to complain about me to her current client loudly enough for me to hear. I don't think the client realized I was the person she was talking about.

Needless to say after my hair is fixed I don't think I will be going back.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 7 May 2011 , 11:55pm
post #10 of 13

I would call the manager and tell that while you are now happy with how your hair was fixed you will not be returning to her salon given the unprofessional behavior of her stylist.

If it were me and the stylist was acting that way I would have complained loudly about it while I was there and it was going on. I'm not shy about those kinds of things.

Mamasan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamasan Posted 8 May 2011 , 12:20am
post #11 of 13

Unfortunately, some cannot admit that they are unqualified. Her behavior towards you clearly showed that.

About 15 years ago I had an overwhelming urge to get some body put into my waist length, straight black hair. Several people suggested a place near my home and off I went. I asked the girl 3 times - are you sure you can do this??? Yep, I sure can, you will love it! Well... 4 hours laters, I went home with wavy hair but it seemed kind of, off. The next morning I get up, wet down my hair (as I was told) and I as I finger pick it, long strands stretch wayyyy out and then snap off. I freak out, call in sick and carry my butt back to the salon. I speak to the manager (who has this look on her face like she's going to throw up) so I know it's not good. She gives me back my $200 and I end up getting my hair cut (somewhere else) in two sessions up to my ears... icon_cry.gif

TexasSugar Posted 9 May 2011 , 2:27pm
post #12 of 13

Ugh to the original girl that did your hair. I would definitely point out to the manager what the girl was saying. She obviously isn't a professional. I don't blame you for not wanting to go back there, though hopefully not everyone in the salon is like that. icon_sad.gif

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 9 May 2011 , 2:39pm
post #13 of 13

Have you ever considered clip on hair in purple colour? I bought clip on bangs and LOVE them - cheap, easy, and temporary for when I want to change my look. They never fade and need very little maintenance. They also clip in like barettes and stay very firmly in the hair tooicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%