Have You Ever Dried Gumpaste Decorations In The Oven?

Decorating By Emmar308 Updated 7 May 2011 , 12:11am by icer101

Emmar308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmar308 Posted 6 May 2011 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 9

Help!! Cake to be delivered in the morning and i completely forgot to make a large gumpaste bow (ie minnie mouse style hair bow) in advance - i'm risking drying it in a warm oven....any reason this could go horribly wrong????

8 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 May 2011 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 9

I've dried royal icing in the oven, but not gumpaste. When I need to quick dry gumpaste, I put it on a bed of cornstarch and under a light/lamp or fan.

genevieveyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 6 May 2011 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 9

I've tried drying the the oven- it's got to be really low- and you've got to really keep an eye on it.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 6 May 2011 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 9

I've done it. I broke 3 of the princess plaques on the princess cakes in photos an hour before delivery. Cut them out and placed in oven on Warm with the door ajar for 15 min and they were hard enough to color and apply. I have also done it for longer periods with other things. My oven is gas so warm is very very low and leaving the door adjar keeps the temp from building.

brensmom12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brensmom12 Posted 6 May 2011 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 9

I've done it with GP & fondant. I turn on the OVEN LIGHT ONLY. I made some bows and left them in overnight and in the morning they were set.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 6 May 2011 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by brensmom12

I've done it with GP & fondant. I turn on the OVEN LIGHT ONLY. I made some bows and left them in overnight and in the morning they were set.

Ditto: I did the just last week and it worked like a charm icon_smile.gif

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 6 May 2011 , 11:32pm
post #7 of 9

Alas, I don't have an oven light. icon_sad.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 6 May 2011 , 11:44pm
post #8 of 9

Roll your gum paste thin! I use Wilton's pre-made gum paste and it dries really fast! I love making bows with it. And yes, I've put things in the oven with just the light on and it works. However, I've found that this gum paste dries pretty quick on its own. I most recently decided to make a palm tree topper for a cake at 3 in the morning for a cake due later that day. It dried great without the heat!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 May 2011 , 12:11am
post #9 of 9

I have dried g/p flowers,etc in the oven on 150 degrees. The great Nick Lodge and the great Scott Woolley says you can. I believe everything they say. lol!!! I left them in for around 2 hrs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%