Non-Dairy Icing

Baking By Cass977 Updated 10 May 2011 , 2:13pm by ihateveggies

Cass977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cass977 Posted 6 May 2011 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 5

Me and another decorator are making a wedding cake for a friend and she is requesting a non-dairy icing that is light and fluffy that she's had in the past. The other decorator said she had a non-dairy icing recipe that is light and fluffy. When I asked her for the recipe she gave me the wilton recipe with water vs. milk. Does using water instead of milk change the wilton recipe that much? I just don't know that her description of a light and fluffy recipe would fit with the wilton recipe. Any one have any ideas as to what she might be looking for with this description?

4 replies
Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 6 May 2011 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 5

Not sure about light and fluffy, but all my icings and frostings are dairy free. I use soy or rice milk as a replacement, margarine instead of butter, and Rich's Whip dessert topping instead of heavy cream.I use this recipe for buttercream, and its delicious :
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/special-buttercream-frosting/Detail.aspx

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 May 2011 , 2:56am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass977

Me and another decorator are making a wedding cake for a friend and she is requesting a non-dairy icing that is light and fluffy that she's had in the past.

Non-dairy and light/fluffy usually means Rich's Bettercreme which is a non-dairy whipped icing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass977

The other decorator said she had a non-dairy icing recipe that is light and fluffy. When I asked her for the recipe she gave me the wilton recipe with water vs. milk.

While the Wilton recipe can be made with water, it isn't really a light & fluffy frosting...

I'd use the Rich's Bettercreme which is the "whipped icing" used by WalMart, Sam's Club and a lot of other mass merchandisers:

http://www.rich.com/product_info.cfm?catid=6159

Rich's Bettercreme can be purchased in qts. (liquid you whip) at Gordon Food Service or online or in buckets (pre-whipped) at Sams Club.

HTH

Mo-Mo73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mo-Mo73 Posted 7 May 2011 , 3:32am
post #4 of 5

i used a recipe in class for decorating using water instead of dairy products...hi ration frosting was the name...good for decorating, piping, writing, etc...hth...=)

ihateveggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ihateveggies Posted 10 May 2011 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 5

margerine often contains milk by-products - if you are making it dairy-free because of an allergy, I'd be careful of using it as a substitute. I made a cake for a little boy with milk/eggs allergies - I used Fleischman Lactulose margerine (Lactose free) - I used it as I would have butter in my recipe (margerine, icing sugar, vanilla & water instead of milk) - it was MUCH softer than my normal buttercream but everyone enjoyed it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%