Beginner Questions!

Decorating By kcbakes Updated 5 May 2011 , 2:30pm by lilmissbakesalot

kcbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcbakes Posted 5 May 2011 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a couple graduation cakes next weekend and I am pretty new to actually decorating cakes to make them look great! I am wondering for a beginner, what is easier to use for this purpose. My Aunt has always used a recipe for decorator's icing with Crisco only and I see on here alot of people using buttercream. Sorry I am asking such a basic question but I really want to do a good job and try my hand at making great cakes for others down the road. Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give me!

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 May 2011 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not exactly sure what your question is.

As far as buttercream goes, if you look into the recipe you may find that it has crisco, crisco/butter mixed or straight butter. There isn't a right or wrong icing to use. It is what works best for you. What tastes best to you.

I use a buttercream with all crisco because I live in Texas and icing made with butter does not hold up to the heat like icing made with crisco. I also get a white white icing when I use crisco.

Karadactyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karadactyl Posted 5 May 2011 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 5

I can't speak for everyone else but I use a recipe that uses both Crisco and butter. You get the taste of real buttercream with the stability that Crisco provides. Also, I haven't personally tried it but I know everyone on here RAVES about Indydebi's Buttercream recipe. You can search for it in the Recipe section! Good luck and Welcome!

kcbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcbakes Posted 5 May 2011 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks so much! I guess my question was just that, which is easier to work with just crisco or butter/crisco mix! Thanks to both of you for your help. I guess I am just nervous and want it to be "right"!!!

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 5 May 2011 , 2:30pm
post #5 of 5

I'd go with what tastes best. I can't eat "bc" made with only shortening... I just don't like it and I've tried many different variations.

Some people love it though. You'll need to experiment with different types until you find what works best for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%