Fondant Over Royal Icing?

Decorating By RobinO Updated 8 May 2011 , 11:08pm by rowantree

RobinO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobinO Posted 4 May 2011 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 2

I'm making an R2D2 cake this weekend and plan to use RKT for the legs. Just wondering if I can ice them 1st in royal icing and then mmf? I'm worried the shortening in the mmf will cause the royal icing to break down. Thanks for your help!!!

1 reply
rowantree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rowantree Posted 8 May 2011 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinO

I'm making an R2D2 cake this weekend and plan to use RKT for the legs. Just wondering if I can ice them 1st in royal icing and then mmf? I'm worried the shortening in the mmf will cause the royal icing to break down. Thanks for your help!!!

It will break it down, better to use regular buttercream on the legs then attach the fondant to that.

If you really want to use royal for the whiteness of the legs, then make your blue trims and images out of royal (thin enough to flow and fill an outline) on wax paper, let them dry completely and attach them to the royal icing covered legs. Make several pieces of each design in case you drop or otherwise break some.

You can also paint on some of the designs with icing color using a thin paintbrush and a little vodka to thin the gel colors. It dries instantly and looks great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%