Help!!!! Very New To This

Decorating By frasercakes2011 Updated 4 May 2011 , 2:44am by MacsMom

frasercakes2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frasercakes2011 Posted 3 May 2011 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 11

i am new to decorating cakes and i just had a question i am making a butterscotch pudding cake for my mom for mothers day and i needed to know if i can still decorate it or if it would taste bad if i did. the recipe calls for
1 (3 3/4 oz) pkg butterscotch pudding
2 cups of milk
1 yellow cake mix
1 pkg butterscotch morsels
1/2 cup chopped nuts

prepare pudding w/ milk as directed on pkg (let cool) stir into cake mix and blend well pour in 13x9 pan sprinkle w/ butterscotch morsels and chopped nuts and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 min.
would it still be possible to decorate a cake after that or does anyone know a butterscotch cake recipe that i could Still decorate. any ideas would be so much appreciated thank you so much!

10 replies
crazybus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazybus Posted 3 May 2011 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 11

Why would you not be able to decorate it? Were you thinking of doing buttercream icing on the outside of the cake? Fondant?

Why would it taste bad if decorated?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 May 2011 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 11

That sounds like an odd recipe to me.

What I would do is take your cake mix, and make it according to the directions on the box, adding in an extra egg, and the powder butterscotch pudding mix. You can think mix in your morsels and nuts and bake.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 3 May 2011 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 11

It sounds like its meant to be very rich, a "stand alone" type of cake.....I don't know if it would taste good iced, maybe you should try it and see how it turns out? Sounds almost brownie-ish....

boxerbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boxerbabe Posted 3 May 2011 , 7:13pm
post #5 of 11

I dosn't sound mutch diffrent than adding chocolate chips to a cake mix. Add the butterscotch chips to the dry mix before adding wet ingreadeancs, That will help coat the chips and help keep them suspended instead of sinking to the bottom...Sounds yummy Good Luck

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 3 May 2011 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 11

1 cake mix
1 c flour
1 c sugar
1 pkg butterscotch pudding mix (dry)
2/3 c any type of caramel flavored liquid coffee creamer
2/3 c water
1 c sour cream
5 egg whites
2 tbls oil
8 oz melted butterscotch chips

Combine dry. Add all except melted chips. Temper melted chips by stirring in a bit of batter before mixing into rest of cake batter. Bake at 325 45 - 60 mins (depends on sizes of pans and depth of batter - could even be longer). Recipe can be doubled - this one makes two 7" rounds.

frasercakes2011 Posted 3 May 2011 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 11

so do you think i could just add butterscotch chips to a yellow cake mix and then decorate it in buttercream and fondant? or would that not give a very good flavor? i dont want the cake to be a overly sweet cake but i do want to decorate it for my mom and she said butterscotch is her favorite cake

frasercakes2011 Posted 3 May 2011 , 8:15pm
post #8 of 11

@macsmom
would this make a 13x9 or no

MacsMom Posted 3 May 2011 , 8:21pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by frasercakes2011

so do you think i could just add butterscotch chips to a yellow cake mix and then decorate it in buttercream and fondant? or would that not give a very good flavor? i dont want the cake to be a overly sweet cake but i do want to decorate it for my mom and she said butterscotch is her favorite cake

The chips will sink even if you coat with flour because they have a lower melting point than regular choco chips - you'll end up with a gooey mess at the bottom of your pans.

You can make a yellow cake according to pkg directions and just add butterscotch pudding mix and 6 oz of melted butterscotch chips to it, plus an extra egg.

frasercakes2011 Posted 3 May 2011 , 8:27pm
post #10 of 11

thank you i will try that

MacsMom Posted 4 May 2011 , 2:44am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by frasercakes2011

@macsmom
would this make a 13x9 or no

Yes, a full one.