Tier Cake Question

Decorating By shelli38 Updated 1 May 2011 , 1:33pm by Sangriacupcake

shelli38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelli38 Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 9

I am doing a 14 inch with a 10 inch round cake. I hate doing two layers on the 14 inch size. My pans are 3 inches deep. Would it be ok to just do one layer for the bottom and two layers for the top? Or would it just look weird?

8 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 9

I think it looks weird anytime the upper tier is taller than the bottom tier. The bottom needs to appear strong and sturdy in proportion to the top instead of looking short and squatty compared to the rest.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 9

It might look okay depending on the design. How is the cake going to be decorated? I'm assuming it isn't a traditional tiered cake design since the top tier is a whopping 10 inches!

If you're set on doing one layer, how about one layer 14-inch, one layer 12-inch and 1 layer 10-inch? Then it will be proportioned correctly.

shelli38 Posted 1 May 2011 , 2:13am
post #4 of 9

Thanks for your help. I kind of knew that it would look strange but I was hoping somebody would say it wouldn't since I am so dreading the two layers! I might just go with three tiers all one layer. I was only doing the tiers because I need a bigger cake and I have to transport it already made.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 1 May 2011 , 2:37am
post #5 of 9

Why are you dreading the two layers? Because a 14-inch round is hard to handle? All you need to do is pop the layer in the freezer for about 30 minutes or so and it will be super easy to handle! If your freezer isn't big enough for a 14-inch round, please disregard. icon_wink.gif

shelli38 Posted 1 May 2011 , 10:37am
post #6 of 9

That is the problem. My freezer is very narrow and it won't fit.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 May 2011 , 12:20pm
post #7 of 9

After the cake is baked, turn it out of the pan, level, torte if you do that. Then wrap the cake in plastic film and put it back into the pan. Now it can go into the freezer at an angle or even vertically.

shelli38 Posted 1 May 2011 , 12:34pm
post #8 of 9

Why didn't I think of that? That is a wonderful idea!

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 1 May 2011 , 1:33pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

After the cake is baked, turn it out of the pan, level, torte if you do that. Then wrap the cake in plastic film and put it back into the pan. Now it can go into the freezer at an angle or even vertically.

thumbs_up.gif Clever!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%