Going To Make Maroon, White Base Or Red Base? Tips?

Decorating By Jenniferkay Updated 29 Sep 2012 , 1:56pm by lutie

Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 5

I have a graduation cake coming up and I was thinking that maybe it would make more sense to start with a red base fondant for my Americolor Maroon than a white base. Any one have any tips?

4 replies
cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 5

If your maroon is more of a red base than purple, by all means, start with a red base color. You will use less of your maroon coloring then.

I do something similar when doing a nice red- I use a pink base, then use my precious Super Chinese Red to bring it to the red. Saves using so much gel coloring.

jenny311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny311 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 5

I recently made a maroon color by adding violet and a little bit of rose to my red mmf, and it worked great! You can check it out on my Nike Air Jordan cake. To get a darker maroon you just add more violet. HTH

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2015515/2015534

cakesalone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesalone Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 5

I have made a few maroon colored cakes, our school colors are maroon and gold. I always put in alittle brown, violet and red to make the color I like. Sometimes even black. And it will darken as it ages, so maybe make it a day or 2 early so it will have time to do this. By the way, it does color the teeth quite a bit.
Okay, sorry just read this is fondant. But this is my method for buttercream icing, so not sure how will transfer to fondant as I am unexperienced there due to fear icon_surprised.gif !
Good Luck!

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesalone

I have made a few maroon colored cakes, our school colors are maroon and gold. I always put in alittle brown, violet and red to make the color I like. Sometimes even black. And it will darken as it ages, so maybe make it a day or 2 early so it will have time to do this. By the way, it does color the teeth quite a bit.
Okay, sorry just read this is fondant. But this is my method for buttercream icing, so not sure how will transfer to fondant as I am unexperienced there due to fear icon_surprised.gif !
Good Luck!

Thanks for this, as I was looking for buttercream maroon instructions icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%