Rkt Tower

Decorating By CakesByEmily82 Updated 26 Apr 2011 , 9:43pm by Maria925

CakesByEmily82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEmily82 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a cake this weekend. ( Very short notice) The theme of the cake is from the Movie Tangled. I'm making the Tower out of RKT covering it with fondant. I have never done this before. I plan on using a Dowel as support and I'm going to leave a few inches sticking out of the bottom to stick into the cake. I'm a little nervous that the tower will want to fall over or off of the cake. Does anyone have any tips or do you think it will be fine? It will be sitting on top of 2 8" rounds.

Thanks!!
Emily

3 replies
malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 4

So are you making the whole tower out of RKT? Then the actual cake part would be the ground under the tower?? If this is the case I think the dowel will tear out of the cake. The RKT with fondant will be too tall and heavy.
I did a Tangled cake (you can see in my pic's) and I did the tower RKT but the top is the cake. I used a 15-16 inch board for the base and attached a pvc pipe to the base then another 8 inch board attached to the pvc on top. My cake then sat on the 8 inch board. I also made the roof out of a big RKT.
I hope this helps??

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by malene541

So are you making the whole tower out of RKT? Then the actual cake part would be the ground under the tower?? If this is the case I think the dowel will tear out of the cake. The RKT with fondant will be too tall and heavy.
I did a Tangled cake (you can see in my pic's) and I did the tower RKT but the top is the cake. I used a 15-16 inch board for the base and attached a pvc pipe to the base then another 8 inch board attached to the pvc on top. My cake then sat on the 8 inch board. I also made the roof out of a big RKT.
I hope this helps??

Malene, your cake is adorable. I'm making a Tangled (tangley as my granddaughter calls it) for my granddaughter's 4th b-day in July. I may use your idea. Thanks for the tip! icon_biggrin.gif

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 4

I have a tangled cake in my pic. My tower was out of RKT & fondant and was sitting on top of an 8" top tier. I put a wooden dowel through the center of the tower and only a small amount was sticking into the cake itself (maybe a couple of inches). I had no problems at all. Now, I did NOT transport it that way. I put the tower on top at the party. So if you are planning on transporting it with the tower, then it won't work that way. But otherwise, it worked for me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%