How Do I Make These Buckles...

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 26 Apr 2011 , 4:53pm by Kiddiekakes

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 9

What would be the easiest way to make the gold buckles for this cake..They attach the straps to the purse

Any tips? Ideas? would be greatly appreciated!!And what about a zipper..Any ideas on how to get the zipper look?

http://www.allhandbagfashion.com/201004/2010-louis-vuitton-monogram-canvas-top-handles.html

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

8 replies
kathyw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyw Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 9

You can get a zipper mold ( Sunflower Sugar Arts) for $21.00 ( ahcakedesign has cheap shipping), or you can try making a mold yourself. PM Hobbycraft sells the mold putty kit for around $18.00. It's easy to use. HTH

Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks Kathy...I'll have to try that...I was just thinking also about buying a zipper at Fanny's fabrics and using that to press into..Would that work too...

I'm gonna check out sunflower and ahcakedesign but I don't think it would get to me in time.

kathyw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyw Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 9

You can just press the zipper into the fondant but then the impression would be depressed rather than raised ( does that make sense?). It depends on how realistic you want the zipper to look.

As for the buckles, using gumpaste painted with silver lustre dust is a good way to do it. Maybe somebody else has other ideas??????

Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 9

Is there another way to make a zipper without the mold??

Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 4:30pm
post #6 of 9

Yes..I understand what you mean about depressed..Hmmm...I'll have to play around...

Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 4:45pm
post #7 of 9

Couldn't I buy some clay and press the zipper into it and then let it dry..then press fondant into that...The shipping alone from Sunflower is as much as the item...Ugh

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 4:50pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Couldn't I buy some clay and press the zipper into it and then let it dry..then press fondant into that...The shipping alone from Sunflower is as much as the item...Ugh

If you want to make a mold, I'd suggest really making one! There's all kinds of kits out there...I know CC has forums on mold making. I tried doing the clay thing once and it just didn't work. But hey...you might give it a shot!

Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 4:53pm
post #9 of 9

Yeah..You're right carmijok but I don't think I will use it that often and spending the money on silicone etc is more than I want to spend for something I may use once in a while..Thanks anyways!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%