Omg~Will The Ban Take The Cake?

Decorating By QuadCities Updated 26 Apr 2011 , 7:09am by jason_kraft

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 6:45am
post #31 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

they need to spend MORE money complying with new stupid regulations that will probably be changed again when that same nanny research says 'oops'...they were wrong!

Well I know I'm sleeping better at night!

Spirited debate!

I mistrust government just like most Americans right now, but placing your faith and trust in corporations that make your food thinking they have your best interest at heart over their desire to turn a profit makes very little sense to me. I don't expect to change your mind about trans fats in this thread, but it's interesting to get a totally opposite opinion.

Jen

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 7:06am
post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

You mean the same research that brought the whole trans-fat debacle?

Yes. As I said before, science improves over time and becomes more accurate as more research is done. Sometimes new research disproves old research.

Quote:
Quote:

The same research that said coffee was terrible for you but now it's a wonder drink?

What does coffee have to do with this? Are there new federal regulations regarding coffee or coffee alternatives?

Quote:
Quote:

How long do you think these government entities would survive if their 'research' didn't show so-called results?

Research is largely done by the private sector and universities, not government agencies. For example, Harvard studies were instrumental in the NYC trans fat ban.

Quote:
Quote:

MINOR modifications? Do you bake your cakes? Do you not know that 'minor' modifications can have unpleasant results in certain recipes?

Believe me, as the co-owner of a bakery that specializes in baked goods made without common allergens, I am well aware of how difficult recipe modifications can be. It took us several months of R&D to get our recipes working correctly. It took us a few days to fix our recipes after the trans fat ban was passed.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 7:09am
post #33 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

It seems like it could be easy, but based on the shady loosy goosey labeling guidelines are in this country, I don't see how I'd be able to calculate anything that is contained in any product I use and put my label to it without it going to a lab.

Well, all you have to go on are the labels on your ingredients, so if a hypothetical labeling law was passed I think you would be fine if you could point to those labels as your starting point.

After all, the current ban relies heavily on those same labeling guidelines, since all our local health inspector did was check the label of our Sweetex Z box to make sure it said 0g trans fat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%