Butter

Decorating By LaTasha Updated 28 Apr 2011 , 7:26pm by LaTasha

LaTasha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaTasha Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 4

Hi CC Family

I would like to know what is the best butter to use in making cookies. I am hearing that if you want soft cookies then you need a butter with a high
fat content. What would the name of that be and where can I get it. I live in NYC.

Thanks

3 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 1:45am
post #2 of 4

Where I live butter is butter, it all has the same fat content. Unless you get 'spreading butter' which has other stuff added to make it softer, but that's really not used for baking. Then there's salted or unsalted of course. I've never heard of getting a higher/lower fat content butter to make soft cookies.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 2:15am
post #3 of 4

Commercial butter in the U.S. is 80% butter fat, so brands will not make a difference in that respect. However, butter has a lower melting point than vegetable shortening which means the cookie dough will spread more quickly, i.e. you will have a flat, crunchy cookie, not a soft one. So if you want soft cookies use a recipe that contains shortening rather than butter. A higher melting point means the cookie has a chance to rise before the fat melts.

LaTasha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaTasha Posted 28 Apr 2011 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you I will try to find a recipe like that or if you or anyone has one. I would just like to bake a cookie that is like the ones you get from pilsbury.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%