Urgent Lamb Cake Help

Lounge By Lizmybit Updated 25 Apr 2011 , 4:12pm by TexasSugar

Lizmybit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizmybit Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 4

Hi!

Ok so my very first lamb cake was a complete disaster. I have old pans and I found that they leak. icon_sad.gif After having batter drip all over the oven (thank goodness I put foil down) I decided to put the pan face down to bake. After an hour of cooking I attempted to remove the top of the pan so I could test the cake. Directions said last 10 minutes I could remove the top. Cake was not done, and batter spilled everywhere.

I'm wondering if for my second attempt can I bake the two half's open and then put them together when frosting? Has anyone ever done this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 4

Yes, that will work fine.

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 4

I have a lamb cake mold from the 1960's.... the joke in our family with all the things that went wrong including those ears falling off and burning. My mother, original owner of mold, finally figured out fill the face one 3/4 full . Cook face down and don't put the back on cake. You put it on a cookie pan just in case it rises and spills over. You will frost the cake anyways to create by swirls what you've lost from mold. We also cover ears after 20 minutes with aluminum foil to prevent burning. If the ear falls off getting out of cake pan use a toothpick to hold it to cake. Are you using a heavier cake like pound or carrot? Those hold the shape better. Doesn't help for this year but will for next year.

Our entire family still loves lamb cake for Easter.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 4

The Easter Lamb cake has always been a tradition in our family. My grandma always made it for Easter when her kids were little and about 10 or so years ago my grandma passed the pan on to me. The pan I have is well over 50 years old.

I always put the pan on a cookie sheet with foil, nose down. Fill it as full as I can get it, almost over filling, put the back on and tie the two together with a piece of cotton kitchen string.

The string helps hold the second pan down, so that the cake batter can rise up to it. And there is usually a little pan over flo, but I'd rather have that than now have it rise all the way up.

This year, was the first year, that I had a perfect lamb. Everything went right. He baked up in around 45 mins, didn't over flo, came out of the pan perfect, and the only toothpicking I had to do was for the ears (they usually don't hold up to the icing on them.)

This was also the first year I had to make the lamb and celebrate Easter with out my grandma. I have to wonder if she wasn't looking over me while I was baking him.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%