What Is The Best Fondant Recipe For A Newbie That Is Not Mm.

Baking By Smeagol Updated 25 Apr 2011 , 2:28am by MrsMoe07

Smeagol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smeagol Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a bday cake for a friend she is vegetarian so can't use MM or gelatin. I am very new at this. I have only made one cake with fondant before and it was the Wilton pre-made fondant. It turned out well but tasted kinda gross and was expensive. So I would like to make my own fondant this time, I will also be making little figurines on top of the cake, can I use the fondant as like a molding clay or do I need to use gum paste?

Thank you for any advice!!!

2 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 12:16am
post #2 of 3

I'm sorry to tell you that gelatin is a basic ingredient in any kind of fondant or gumpaste. You might be able to substitute a vegetable gum like agar or carageenan, but I don't know of any recipes. You could try your hand at modeling chocolate (there are tons of recipes on the internet), at least for the figures, but I'd frankly go with an all-shortening buttercream for the covering. Another possibility is to cover the cake with marzipan, which is made from almond paste and behaves kind of like fondant, but it's quite expensive and not always easy to come by. Hope you find something you're comfortable with. In general terms, the best fondant I've ever come across is Michele Foster's Fondant, of which there are several variants in the recipe section here. It's not a marshmallow-based fondant, but it IS made with gelatin.

MrsMoe07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMoe07 Posted 25 Apr 2011 , 2:28am
post #3 of 3

Is she vegan or vegetarian? Kosher gelatin/marshmallows are made from fish gelatin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%