Cricut & Fondant?

Decorating By SugarMama5 Updated 19 Apr 2011 , 12:42pm by SugarMama5

SugarMama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama5 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 3:18am
post #1 of 5

I know the cricut is a hot topic & everyone has their opinions about it. I have one (got it for$100, I couldn't resist) and I've mastered using it with gum paste but fondant has me beat. Granted I haven't played with it with fondant too many times but now I am making a cake with filgrees on the side of the cake. I wanted to use my cricut BUT I also wanted to do it with fondant.

I tried freezing it & then cutting. It cut nicely but then I found that trying to take the excess off it was sticky. Not too great to work with... I did get it all off but it's pretty flimsy to work with. Sigh. Anyone have any tips to working with fondant & the cricut cake?

OR tinting gum paste very black? If I could get my gum paste really black, I could make it work the gum paste.

Thanks!

4 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 3:46am
post #2 of 5

Add a bit of Tylose or Gum-Tex, roll it on the sheet, and let it sit sealed overnight. It works great for me. The only time I've had to stick it in the freezer was when I didn't have time to let it sit overnight.

afunk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afunk Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 6:32am
post #3 of 5

I second the tylose. But I let it sit uncovered about 20-30 minutes on the mat before cutting.
Good luck!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 11:56am
post #4 of 5

I don't stick my fondant in the freezer.... i let it air dry. The fondant starts to warm up to quick and becomes sticky while the the cricut is cutting. I find if i let it air dry to "firm" up it cuts a LOT better.

SugarMama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama5 Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 12:42pm
post #5 of 5

I rolled some fondant last night & left it to dry on the mat. I'm going to Trey cutting it. Hopefully it will be better to cut & take off the mat.

I need to find Somme tylose powder, that would help a ton!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%