Decorate The Table For A Wedding Cake?

Decorating By ConfectionsCC Updated 18 Apr 2011 , 4:34am by indydebi

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 11

I was wondering, do any of you decorate the table when you deliver a cake, or should the table already be set up, and all you should have to do is bring in your cake? No one has asked me yet, but I did run into a bride who didn't know she should get some type of stand or plateau for the cake, as I did not rent them...I told her its up to her how she wants it, but I never saw one with out some sort of stand...Am I supposed to contact the rental agency and rent one to have there at the wedding? Doesn't seem like my place, especially if the stand is lost or damaged, that would be on my name and I would be responsible!

10 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 11

If the table isn't set-up and the supplies are there I will use them, but I also let the bride know that she needs to supply table items if the venue doesnt. As for the stand I ask the bride if she wants the cake on a stand or just sitting on the table, if she wants a stand I tell her that she needs to rent one.

hth

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 11

Yup..The bride is responsible for renting any stands and it is also up to her to have the venue set out a pre decorated cake table for you to just set your cake on...unless you offer that service and then you would charge extra for it.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sari66

If the table isn't set-up and the supplies are there I will use them, but I also let the bride know that she needs to supply table items if the venue doesnt. As for the stand I ask the bride if she wants the cake on a stand or just sitting on the table, if she wants a stand I tell her that she needs to rent one.

hth

Yep. This exactly.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 12:12am
post #5 of 11

I've told brides, "If you you need someone to decorate your reception for you, that's what a wedding planner is for, or someone who runs a venue decorating business. I deliver the cake. Period."

the cake table should be ready for you to walk in and put the cake down. I sometimes had to DE-decorate tables (who the heck thinks you can set a wedding cake on TOP of christmas lights that are under the tablecloth??????) Unless you want to be in the stand rental business, the bride needs to provide any special stands. Here's why: If you can't find it, then she tells everyone how you ruined her wedding by not getting the stand of her dreams. If SHE can't find it, then it turns into an "oh well, gotta change the plan!" thing for her.

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 12:53am
post #6 of 11

I tell them that they need to have the table setup and ready to go for me to deliver and set up the cake.

fabfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabfour Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 1:48am
post #7 of 11

I have difference packages brides can pick from. One is just cake, I bring it in, sit it down and leave. Another one is cake and punch. And my deluxe package is I decorate the cake table with table skirt, table cloth in the brides colors, I provide candles, table flowers, punch, nuts, homemade mints, coffee, plates, cups, and forks. This package gets bought the most.

MrsMoe07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMoe07 Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 2:13am
post #8 of 11

I was told I need to provide a cake stand. My wedding planner in turn stole it, but that's another thread O_o

indydebi Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 2:14am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabfour

I have difference packages brides can pick from. One is just cake, I bring it in, sit it down and leave. Another one is cake and punch. And my deluxe package is I decorate the cake table with table skirt, table cloth in the brides colors, I provide candles, table flowers, punch, nuts, homemade mints, coffee, plates, cups, and forks. This package gets bought the most.

I used to do that , too, years ago! Miss making those mints!!! But when I moved to Indpls, I found there arent' many "cake-n-punch" receptions. The few times this package was selected, the punch was 90% leftover, coffee was provided with the buffet/plated meal, and eventually, brides just weren't ordering this package, so I dropped it as an option.

But when I did them back in the day, they were fun!!! thumbs_up.gif

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 2:36am
post #10 of 11

I tell my brides that they are responsible for getting their own cake stand (the Martha Stewart ones from Macy's are really cheap and popular), but tell them to get it to me 1 week prior and I'll deliver it to the reception along with any cake cutting stuff etc. For me it's more of an added service that nobody really takes advantage of, they will bring the cake stand but 95% they pass on the other stuff. Same delivery charge though.

Jen

indydebi Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 4:34am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

.... but tell them to get it to me 1 week prior and I'll deliver it to the reception ....

oh that's a good idea. nothing worse than getting to the reception and the person in charge of the stand isnt' there yet! this is a great way to insure that doesn't happen. Excellent idea! thumbs_up.gif

P.S. I had one wedding (I wasnt' on this one but my staff supv told me about it when they got back) that this happened. We didnt' do the cake and the cake made by another decorator was all set up .... fountains and stairs design. After the wedding is over, some guy comes in carrying a "special" table that the cake is suppose to be on and my crew is asked if they will move the cake to the table! icon_surprised.gif My supv was smart enough to say "we dont' touch other people's cakes". But seriously .... they walk in carrying this special cake table AFTER the wedding and expect the cake to be placed on it? really? REALLY? (big sigh!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%