Call Me Crazy But... (Long)

Baking By Lizzard1 Updated 17 Apr 2011 , 12:15am by Unlimited

Lizzard1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzard1 Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 3

Ok, so I may have lost my mind but I am going to speak honestly. (please bear with me)

I (like many many of you on this site) have such a love for this art. I can't explain my drive but its undeniable. It brings me such joy and happiness and I wouldn't be me without this. It has grown to define who I am as a person and what I do for a living. I personally think that this industry is supposed to be specialized to meet the consumers needs. The more customized the better icon_lol.gif

I live in an area that doesn't have a ton of cake decorators and we have only a couple of shops (and I mean 2 lol). I have full plans to one day open up my own store front. That is my life plan. Right now I just do it for fun and I am working up my portfolio while I save up money.

I just have something that bothers me. I am fully aware of a shop that just operates solely because (and I quote) a "fad" and they have the spare cash. The owner is in it just for the money. They don't bake or decorate the cakes and they have no idea where to start. They are so lucky to have the decorators that they do. I personally know the head decorator there and I know how irritated they are at them but its a job with experience.

It just makes me sad. Having competition (and they dominate the market) makes it very difficult to acquire new business. I am just wondering if I am 'crazy' or if anyone else feels its almost wrong in a way. (just morally) Now, please don't misunderstand me. I know anyone has the right to open any business they choose and I respect that. (again, its a moral objection) I just feel like why this industry? Its such a wonderfully artistic outlet for some of us. (in my mind I just keep asking whhy why???)

Am I alone? I hope I am not coming across as rude or negative. icon_biggrin.gif I just feel almost frustrated in a way.

2 replies
VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 12:00am
post #2 of 3

Am I getting it right that it disturbs you that they own a bakery, but they don't bake or decorate?

On the positive side, they employ bakers and decorators who would otherwise not be able to do their craft legally for pay without the owners opening up their storefront.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 12:15am
post #3 of 3

Why this industry? Like you saidbecause it's a fad. Perhaps that's the reason. I don't know any business owners that aren't in it just for the money... if it isn't profitablethey don't do it. In an ideal world, if you're able to make money doing something you love or are good atyou are blessed, but some people aren't talented enough to be good at anything (but they have the cash to do whatever they want)so they hire capable employees to do the work. They are providing "artistic outlet" jobs for their communitycan't blame 'em for that. Maybe you could use your talents more often, if you applied for a job with them... just a thought.

If you're jealous of the competition, I wouldn't view them as competitionthere's enough business to go around. Your day will come. When you are readydo something unique that sets you apart from them. They may be out of business before you open anyway, so I wouldn't be too concerned at this point. When you are a business owner, you'll view things differently.

Remember the Canadian best friends who opened all of those cupcake stores? They didn't know anything about baking cupcakesbig mistakebut they were still very successful (at least for a while... don't know about now!).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%