Questions About Wedding Cakes...

Decorating By kearniesue Updated 16 Apr 2011 , 3:50pm by sandy1

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone,

So I'm just getting into making wedding cakes, and I have a few questions.

1) Cake tastings - so for my tastings, I'm doing a few small 4" rounds and decorating them. Usually about 4 of them. I do 2 flavors, but do 1 of each in BC and 1 of each in MMF. Is that too much? How do you normally do it? And, do you wait for them to actually confirm the order before you do the tasting or after?

2) Do you typically decorate the table at the wedding?

3) Do clients usually assume you will serve the cake? How much do you charge to serve?

Thanks,

Karen

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 4

Yes, that is too much cake. I served three squares of cake that were 2.5" x 2.5" each .... for four people. They are 'tasting' the cake, not eating a full dessert.

I used to decorate small cakes for tastings, but that's what your photos are for.

No, I did not decorate the table. I am not a wedding planner nor am I a reception decorator. I am "the cake lady". I deliver the cake. Period. I make sure the bride is aware the table should be done and ready for me to deliver the cake. That means ALSO telling the DJ and the florist NOT to use my table(s) to store their stuff! (had that happen once .... all kinds of crap on my catering tables! My crew had to move it all before we could set up. I just transferred it to a guest table .... not my problem!!!)

Most will not assume you will cut it but make it clear up front: "Who is cutting yoru cake? Have they ever cut a cake before?" and then feel free to hand them a print out of my how to cut a wedding cake guide (see link in signature). If a caterer is cutting the cake, ask them "Do they know how to cut a wedding cake? (not all do ...seriously)" and "are they aware they are cutting the cake?" (some brides just assume it and some caterers charge an extra fee to cut a cake; some caterers will not cut a cake not made by them.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 4

I do no more than 3, 4" rounds (1 layer torted) iced quickly with a tip 21 in bc. If they want to taste fondant, I give them a ball of it. I provide a small scoop of whatever fillings I have on hand for them to share.

I do not stay to cut the cake, ever and no one really expects me to. Around here "that's the caterer's job."

If they have left the toasting flutes and cutting set, I'll put those out on the table. I'll also scatter a bag of petals if left on the cake table.

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 4

Do you charge for tasting? If so, how much?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%