The Cake Boss Show Is Getting Way Too Personal For Me

Lounge By 3LittleBeesCookies Updated 11 May 2011 , 6:06am by Foxicakes

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 11:05pm
post #1 of 14

I used to love watching Cake Boss when it first came on back in the dark ages of 2009 or so. lol I actually picked up all kinds of fun decorating tips watching the show. But, I've noticed here lately that the show has turned from being about the cake to being more about Buddy's family and their drama. Much of that drama also seems scripted or preplanned imho.

There is actually very little about cake--I know because I've fast forwarded through many of the episodes and about 10 minutes of the show will actually be devoted to decorating! What took the cake--pardon the pun--for me was the Baby episode where the cameras were actually in the delivery room with his wife while she was in labor, pushing, feet in stirups--the whole bit. I was like, really? If I wanted to see a Baby Story, then I'd watch that show!! Bring back the decorating. Has anybody else noticed that Cake Boss has changed their format? Maybe it's just me...

13 replies
VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 12:59am
post #2 of 14

I think I followed the first season, and all the drama back then got on my nerves. I can't imagine sitting through a full episode now. Too much yelling and not enough caking has been discusseded on here multiple times. It seems people either love the show or it hate it.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 1:25am
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LittleBeesCookies

If I wanted to see a Baby Story, then I'd watch that show!!

You're funny... you did watch that show! It didn't air under the "Cake Boss" episodes, it aired and continues to air under the name "Cake Boss: Baby Special"!

I knew what to expect from the title and the description, and it doesn't automatically record on the DVR/Tivo that's scheduled for "Cake Boss" episodes.

I agree though... even the Cake Boss shows are going to squeeze in some of the personal stuff.

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 1:26am
post #4 of 14

Well it's hard to search for anything on here. Anyway, it's more than yelling now. It's like all family story stuff as if that's supposed to be the focus of the show. It's like the caking is secondary to the family stuff. Thanks for responding!

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 1:33am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:

If I wanted to see a Baby Story, then I'd watch that show!!

You're funny... you did watch that show! It didn't air under the "" episodes, it aired and continues to air under the name ": Baby Special"!

I knew what to expect from the title and the description, and it doesn't automatically record on the DVR/Tivo that's scheduled for "" episodes.

I agree though... even the shows are going to squeeze in some of the personal stuff.

Lol. I watched on demand and thought maybe they would show the baby or something but not show parts of the actual delivery. They showed some scenes and I decided that it was time to exit. icon_smile.gif

Kaytecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaytecake Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 14

You're not alone in feeling this way. All of these reality shows end up revolving around the personalities of the show's "celebrities". I used to like the show but got bored with it after the first season. Buddy does some beautiful work but I don't enjoy the drama they inject into the show.

Plus, there are so many of these cake shows and contests due to popularity. Cupcake shows have a few spin offs now. There are more cake/cupcake contest shows. At least you have your pick. I like Amazing Wedding Cakes and some of the contests. I lose interest when the participants start acting out attitudes and develop a chip on their shoulder. I admire the professional, successful people, who are classy and resist the trend of being nasty and full of themselves. I'm not saying that Buddy does this. I just see more of this type of behavior on display.

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 3:53am
post #7 of 14

The show is on TLC, not Food Network, which means it's not all about cake and TLC is all about the drama. This is the same network that airs show called, "1000 pound mom" and "The man with no face" and "strange sex" lol. Buddy, first went to Food Network to pitch his idea about a show that was ONLY about his bakery...Food Network told him, no, they already had Ace of Cakes. TLC picked it up as a reality showed based on his bakery and his life.

People watch the show, they get interested in the entire story line of the family. I enjoy the show, I enjoy his family and hiw cakes.

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 12:27pm
post #8 of 14

I just watched a full episode yesterday (for the first time.) I'd never be able to watch on a regular basis... all bickering, yelling, sibling drama... I can barely remember what cakes they did!

cureVHAandCF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cureVHAandCF Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 7:14pm
post #9 of 14

I liked Ace Of Cakes SOOO much better! That was my favorite show... so sad the show ended.

m_willford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_willford Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 7:31pm
post #10 of 14

His sisters in particular drive me nuts. I don't know any family that talks to each other like that, so rude. Very immature. Whiny. Loud.

I like Fabulous Cakes better. Or the cake challenges. That cupcake war thing is great for flavor ideas!

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 7:26pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperfishies

The show is on TLC, not Food Network, which means it's not all about cake and TLC is all about the drama. This is the same network that airs show called, "1000 pound mom" and "The man with no face" and "strange sex" lol. Buddy, first went to Food Network to pitch his idea about a show that was ONLY about his bakery...Food Network told him, no, they already had Ace of Cakes. TLC picked it up as a reality showed based on his bakery and his life.

People watch the show, they get interested in the entire story line of the family. I enjoy the show, I enjoy his family and hiw cakes.

I haven't seen any of those shows you listed. ewww! Well, TLC does stand for The Learning Channel and I want to just learn about cakes. I am not interested in the story lines so much--just the cakes. icon_smile.gif I recently saw a show from when it started in 09 and it was very different than they newer ones are. Well like somebody else said, there are lots of other shows to watch like Fabulous Cakes.

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 23 Apr 2011 , 7:30pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_willford

His sisters in particular drive me nuts. I don't know any family that talks to each other like that, so rude. Very immature. Whiny. Loud.

I like Fabulous Cakes better. Or the cake challenges. That cupcake war thing is great for flavor ideas!

I agree! Their voices drive me nuts with the nasal-y whining. In my best impersanation,"Buddy, I should be the baby's godmother."

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 8 May 2011 , 3:49am
post #13 of 14
Quote:

I haven't seen any of those shows you listed. ewww! Well, TLC does stand for The Learning Channel and I want to just learn about cakes. I am not interested in the story lines so much--just the cakes. icon_smile.gif I recently saw a show from when it started in 09 and it was very different than they newer ones are. Well like somebody else said, there are lots of other shows to watch like Fabulous Cakes.

TLC has separated itself from the learning channel. They tell advertisers to tell people TLC and make sure "the term The Learning Channel is not used"

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 11 May 2011 , 6:06am
post #14 of 14

O...M...GAWD!!! That middle sister makes me want to drive up to Hoboken and stand in line for the 4hours it takes to be served in that place and once I finally see her, just smack her in the mouth!!And, tell her how SELFISH and self absorbed I think she is. . . It makes me wonder it there is a procedure that can be done on humans like they do on dogs that bark too much...they "de-bark" them!! THAT would be PERFECT for her!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%