Black Cake Pop Coating

Decorating By BakedAlaska Updated 15 Apr 2011 , 9:17pm by imagenthatnj

BakedAlaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedAlaska Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 9

What do you use for black on cake pops?

I know Wilton makes black candy melts, but I haven't seen them since Halloween. I would like to find a source for a 25# box that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to ship to Alaska. Anyone have suggestions??

8 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 9

You could buy chocolate candy melts and tint them with black candy coloring.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedAlaska Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 9

I've tried using candy color on dark chocolate melts... It's not black enough. I need a LOT of black for an upcoming order. I really need to buy pre-colored black melts....

I was told by CK that they weren't carrying Clasen black any longer. ;o(

imagenthatnj Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 9

Maybe you'll have to order your black melts online.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=1911-489

I'm sure other sites carry them too.

MamaMia808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaMia808 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 9

Weird. CK still has Clausen on their site. But if you can't get it you can always order Merckens. I feel your pain about the shipping. Seems like shipping to Alaska or Hawaii costs more than the product!

Cakes-and-bakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes-and-bakes Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 8:03pm
post #7 of 9

try amazon.com they have them sometimes. good luck, I need some myself. bakeitpretty.com has them sometimes too, but they dont have much stock at times and you have to keep checking back, however they do carry many beautiful colors i havent seen anywhere else, like pastels and such.

BakedAlaska Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 9:12pm
post #8 of 9

Yay! icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks imagenthatnj! I could've sworn I checked wilton.com before and they didn't have any in stock except at Halloween! I think all the recent activity in the cake pop world may have inspired them to carry black year-round....

At any rate, there are 25 bags on their way to Alaska for a standard shipping rate of $14. Woo hoo!

Yes, CK does still have Clasen on their site. I ordered a box only to be told they were "back ordered". Then when I called and spoke to someone, I was told they no longer carry them and are switching over to Blomers (sp?). But they wouldn't have any of those until the end of April.... Plus, I always pay more for shipping with CK than I pay for the products themselves!

imagenthatnj Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 9:17pm
post #9 of 9

25 bags!!! lol

To tell you the truth, I thought Wilton.com had them there just for show and was going to tell you that they were out or something like that when you checked out.

Lots of people in the comments and other sites begging them to stock them the whole year round. So I guess the listened.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%