How Do I Ganache A Wedding Cake?

Decorating By Kakie Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 1:09pm by kristiemarie

Kakie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kakie Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 7:17am
post #1 of 10

Please can anyone help me decipher how to ganache a wedding cake to a perfectly smooth white finish?

I've seen this technique used in America and Australia, and I'm desperate to learn how, wouldn't mind paying for the course, but it's in Australia, and I'm in the UK!

I really want to create this perfectly smooth white finish without using sugar paste, as so many people say they don't like the taste, or the very rounded corners it gives.

I do already buttercream my cakes before I put sugar paste on, and although the surface is straight, the finish doesn't look as perfectly smooth as these cakes do

Would also like to know how this stencil effect is achieved, where are the stencils bought etc?

I would really appreciate it if someone could direct me to a tutorial sheet / a course in the UK / someone who's prepared to give private tuition for it.

Katie

9 replies
Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 10

I hope these help you

Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 2:42am
post #3 of 10

Her videos are awesome! Most people in south GA are big fans of butter cream though and although I would love to ganache all my cakes to death...not a possibility. icon_smile.gif

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkadot79

Her videos are awesome! Most people in south GA are big fans of butter cream though and although I would love to ganache all my cakes to death...not a possibility. icon_smile.gif

I know icon_biggrin.gif
Same here I only do CCs, although it looks very tempting, I just dont have the tools for all that icon_confused.gif everyone keeps on pushing me to do cakes but I feel like it wont be as great....Maybe one day icon_rolleyes.gif

CakemummyCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemummyCC Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 10:08am
post #5 of 10

Hi, the youtube videos that Cupcations posted above are fantastic, I would recommend watching these. Ganaching is very big here in Australia! Good luck.

ezkate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ezkate Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 10:48am
post #6 of 10

ok so i have recently learned this am no expert but may have a few tips
firstly its not that stressful so relax! you need something to sit your cake on slightly smaller than the cake ie a cake board which sits a cooling rack which sits over a baking tray with some parchment paper over the top - this catches all the dripping ganache as there is heaps and yo can scrape it off and reheat it(by adding a little more choc and cream). you need lots of chocolate, way more than what is needed for the cake as you use it all to cover. make your ganache, while it is still hot and runny pour over the top of bare cake (i found that covering the cake with ganache before hand was a disaster as the hot ganache took it with it on the way down makes it lumpy and not smooth, like an avalanche!) pour starting from the middle working your way out, moving quickly and just poor making sure to keep an eye that the ganache is running evenly over the sides - just pour it where you need it, if you need to use a pallete knife to ease over the sides of cake. you may need a second coat but there you go.

hope that helps and didnt confuse you more
goodluck!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 12:22pm
post #7 of 10

I also highly recommend watching the videos. Especially because in the video she shows you how to use it like a frosting and NOT pour it over your cake. That way you have completely control over every part of it.

I bought the hardware tool she uses in her video after seeing this. I figure it will work for BC also.

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 19 Apr 2011 , 1:16pm
post #8 of 10

cupcations, Thanks for posting the videos, they are Awesome!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 6:30am
post #9 of 10
kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 1:09pm
post #10 of 10

Cupcations, thank you! Great vid set!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%