What Would You Charge For A 3D Mercedes Sl Convertable Cake?

Decorating By Nicole211 Updated 13 Apr 2011 , 2:25pm by Nicole211

Nicole211 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicole211 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 3:04am
post #1 of 8

I'm just polling everyone on what they would charge for a sculpted cake?

I've been asked to do a 3D, Mercedes SL Convertable car for roughly 24 servings. What would you charge for this cake? (not what you "think" should be charged, but what you WOULD charge) I know prices vary based on area, but I'm just looking for a range.

Thanks for your help!

7 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 3:10am
post #2 of 8

Assuming we were able to get permission from Mercedes (now owned by Daimler AG, a German company) to use their logo and car design for a cake that will be sold, we would probably charge in the $300 range.

gsbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gsbcakes Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 3:19am
post #3 of 8

We charge minimum $150 for 3D cakes

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 8

After doing a couple of car cakes recently, $300.

DerrellC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 2:53am
post #5 of 8

See Jason-kraft's post. Don't get caught using someone's (company,school,etc) property without their permission.

KalliCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KalliCakes Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 3:16am
post #6 of 8

$300, but I'd probably undercharge at $200 or $250 (until I did my first one!). I seem to undercharge and then the second cake gets a more proper charging! :0) But, Jason's right, I would first email to get permission to do the car--if you can't get permission to do the Mercedes, you can create a generic car and personalize it with the person's initials or some other meaningful thing--that's what I do with all these designer purse cake requests and the customers seem to love that personalization option--it makes their cake that much more special--and unique!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 3:24am
post #7 of 8

Next time you ask about a cake, be sure to just say "car cake" so you don't get the CC copyright police on your case. hahaha. That goes for purse cakes, shoe cakes, and any other sort of cake. Friendly advice!!!! icon_biggrin.gif (As a note, you will want to do your own research on copyright laws...however, if you are asking an unrelated question, be sure to leave the branding out of your question so that the topic stays...well...on topic!)

Another huge factor in pricing is your skill level. I haven't studied your photos so I am not sure how experienced you are in sculpted cakes. You will want to price your cake as to how closely you can make it look like the real thing. For instance Mike McCarey (he's sooooo awesome!) can charge thousands for a car cake because he can make it absolutely look real. Someone who is trying their very first car cake may not want to charge a premium price if they do not think they will be able to get it super realistic.

Like I said, I do not know your skill level, but keep that in mind as you price your work. Best of luck!!!!

Nicole211 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicole211 Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 2:25pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all of the help and advice.

I think I left out a piece of information- I was asked to do the "Mercedes", but what I'm doing is a more generic car- I was just wondering what people were charging for more realistic cars, as opposed to "cartoon-ish" or "kids" cars.

@kitagrl- I know, I love Mike- I've taken some classes from Mike and just love him!! As for my skill level- I haven't actually posted pics on here in AGES- so even if you did "study" my photos, it would be waaay misleading, as I've done MANY carved/sculpted cakes in the last couple of years icon_wink.gif But I get what you are saying! While mine are not on Mikes level, I can hold my own. I was thinking of $250 this time, since it is my first "realistic car"- so I'm glad to see I'm in the right range.

thanks again!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%