Help!! 5 Tier Cake On Wilton Plastic Plates???

Decorating By aviles2005 Updated 13 Apr 2011 , 1:38am by Sangriacupcake

aviles2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aviles2005 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 2:53am
post #1 of 15

I have a 5 Tier wedding cake this saturday and I purchaes wilton plastic cake plates, I know they suck but I purchased them before learning about SPS. The wedding is about 8min from my house... I was hoping to deliver the cake assembled because its so close to my house but I know it would be best to stack the bottom 2 tiers (12 & 14) and assemble the rest of the cake at the reception sight

Will the wilton plates hold up?
is it possible to order sps monday and get it before friday?[/u]

14 replies
laboti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laboti Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 3:04am
post #2 of 15

i use the wilton plates a lot , and what i do is i assembled the whole cake on site so i leave like and hr or hr1/2 prior to have enough time to do it and whit out the pressure of people loking at me, and they work pretty good, and i allways bring xtra tools just in case.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 3:29am
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviles2005

I have a 5 Tier wedding cake this saturday and I purchaes wilton plastic cake plates, I know they suck but I purchased them before learning about SPS.

Will the wilton plates hold up?

They suck? They were made for this, of course they'll hold up. Unless you're referring to their Baker's Best disposable plates, their plates are not considered disposable and they have a guarantee... what more could we ask for?
"Circles of strength construction evenly supports all area of cake. Guaranteed non-breakable."
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30FE88-475A-BAC0-5D58F82BF466B5B5&killnav=1

aviles2005 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 4:00am
post #4 of 15

I take back the "suck" remark icon_redface.gif im just nervious about the cake and I really would like to deliver the entire cake completely assembled for many reasons.. Specifically because I have to work a 16 hour shift and am going to deliver during my lunch break. With my van and 2 strong men to assist me. just looking for advice... Its a heavy cake and I want this to go smootly... I will try and find a way to get the sps if I have to...i need to ensure that the cake stands firm...its a big cake and im just worried

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 4:16am
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviles2005

I take back the "suck" remark icon_redface.gif

icon_smile.gif Okay... just thought maybe you were going to advise us what not to use.

Your plate choice will be fine. I'd be worried if you weren't using any plates at all.

aviles2005 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 2:28pm
post #6 of 15

it would be ideal to travel with the cake fully assembled. I'm a little fearful that the wilton place and pillars won't be enough support for transporting such a heavy cake. Im very nervous.... the reception is not too far from my home.. I have to work a 16 hour shift on saturday, and will be delivering the cake on my lunch break with my husband & his brother.. I'm really nervous and just wanted some input on delivering already assembled cake...

I have never put a dowl through an entire cake...
ive never used sps...
and if I do end up using the wilton plastic plates, should I use extra hidden pillers for support...

aviles2005 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 2:29pm
post #7 of 15

it would be ideal to travel with the cake fully assembled. I'm a little fearful that the wilton place and pillars won't be enough support for transporting such a heavy cake. Im very nervous.... the reception is not too far from my home.. I have to work a 16 hour shift on saturday, and will be delivering the cake on my lunch break with my husband & his brother.. I'm really nervous and just wanted some input on delivering already assembled cake...

I have never put a dowl through an entire cake...
ive never used sps...
and if I do end up using the wilton plastic plates, should I use extra hidden pillers for support...

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 15

Is the cake a pillared look (air in between the layers) or are you just using pillars as dowels and it is essentially a stacked cake (all cakes touching)? Stacked cakes are fine for transport, but pillaring needs to be done on site.

aviles2005 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 5:59pm
post #9 of 15

it is a stacked cake, with no gaps.. eat cake sitting on top of each other..

aviles2005 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 6:02pm
post #10 of 15

it is a stacked cake, with no gaps.. eat cake sitting on top of each other.. the pillars will be hidden.. would it be helpful to use extra wooden or plastic dowels 4 extra support under the wilton plates

julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 6:10pm
post #11 of 15

I made a 3 layer cake and it was all I could carry. Much more and it would be very heavy. Make sure you have a good platform for the cake to sit on and be carried on.

I use Wilton all of the time and have no problem.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 6:10pm
post #12 of 15

I use the Wilton smooth edge plates and hidden dowels all the time and I think they are just as good as SPS...I wouldn't deliver the entire 5 tier cake assembled though but rather the bottom 2 or 3 tiers and add the other 2 when you get there..Too much margin for error and tipping...a 5 tier cake is quite tall...The plates will hold but I wouldn't deliver it all in one piece..It won't take long to add the top 2 tiers and pipe a border...Better to be safe than sorry...JMO...icon_smile.gif

aviles2005 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 6:17pm
post #13 of 15

I know icon_sad.gif safety is what im trying to insure...im on a time constraint and the cake will have cascading gumpaste flowers coming down all the tears... I never put flowers coming down a cake before.. Im trying not to stress amd hoping that all of your experience would guide me in the right direction.. icon_smile.gif thanks

rekenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rekenn Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 12:32am
post #14 of 15

Can the wilton plates be used the same way as the sps as far as not messing up the frosting of the cakes as you are stacking them?

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 1:38am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I use the Wilton smooth edge plates and hidden dowels all the time and I think they are just as good as SPS...I wouldn't deliver the entire 5 tier cake assembled though but rather the bottom 2 or 3 tiers and add the other 2 when you get there..Too much margin for error and tipping...a 5 tier cake is quite tall...The plates will hold but I wouldn't deliver it all in one piece..It won't take long to add the top 2 tiers and pipe a border...Better to be safe than sorry...JMO...icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes, can you pleeeeease tell me how you cut your hidden pillars?? I want to switch to these (been using wooden dowels) but I cannot seem to cut them neatly and accurately. icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%