How To Make Numbers Stand Up??? Help Please

Decorating By hopeysanders Updated 10 Apr 2011 , 10:57pm by hopeysanders

hopeysanders Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hopeysanders Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 6

im making a birthday cake and the customer wants to have a 80 on top standing up. at first i thought ok no problem well i tried it out just for fun on another order and used fondant and they would not hold up(even after letting them dry for a while first) can anyone help me and tell me how to do this??????? thank you in advance!!!!!!!!!!

5 replies
kerrimanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerrimanda Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 6

You can do half fondant & half gum paste or use all gumpaste. It should harden overnight.

marion123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marion123 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 6

Not sure if this is the right way, but this is what I do.. I melt White Chocolate and what ever color my fondant is, I add alittle bit of dye / food coloring to it, so they match, then on the back of the #'s and / or your letters, I add alittle bit if the melted chocolate to the back of them and then I add a tooth pick or a very small plastic dowel to the back in the chocolate mixture.. Make sure your toothpick or dowel has enough room to stick into the cake and also that it doesn't show on the front of the fondant number or letter.
I throw it in the freezer for about 10 mintues and the chocolate gets nice and hard with the toothpick in it and then I just stick it in the cake and they are standing up..
Hope it makes sense the why I do it!! Good Luck..

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 6

This is how I do it: I use fondant and add tylose powder to it. Roll it out, like a snake, shape your number. You want to leave it thick enough that you can put skewers in the bottom. For example in an 8 and in a 0 , I would put 2 skewers in the bottom of each number and then let it dry. At least 24 hours, better if you have 48 hours to let it dry. Don't touch them for the first 24 hours, then filp them and let them dry for another 24 hours. Then you just put the sticks into the cake.
They should be fine! I hope this helps.

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 6

This is how I do it: I use fondant and add tylose powder to it. Roll it out, like a snake, shape your number. You want to leave it thick enough that you can put skewers in the bottom. For example in an 8 and in a 0 , I would put 2 skewers in the bottom of each number and then let it dry. At least 24 hours, better if you have 48 hours to let it dry. Don't touch them for the first 24 hours, then filp them and let them dry for another 24 hours. Then you just put the sticks into the cake.
They should be fine! I hope this helps.

hopeysanders Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hopeysanders Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 6

thank you sooooo much

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%