Dowels - Did I Buy The Wrong Thing?

Decorating By ajwonka Updated 9 Apr 2011 , 12:51am by createyourcake1

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 2

So I finally got tired of sawing through wooden towels & bought Poly-Dowels from global. I must be doing something wrong! First, I couldn't cut them with scissors at all & then, since I didn't know how to sharpen them, I couldn't hammer them through the foam core. Help!

1 reply
createyourcake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
createyourcake1 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 12:51am
post #2 of 2

Hi, The Poly Dowels are a product that we have all been waiting for. I have used them several times and they hold up very well. First of all you don't sharpen them at all. They are made of a strong plastic and you can't sharpen plastic. They can be cut with scissors, but you have to make sure they are sharp and possibly a larger pair. I use a pair of shears. It still beats the wooden dowels and the fact that they still have a slight sharp splintered end . I heard you could also take the smaller colored dowels and put 3 in the center of the larger white one for added support. Once you have tried all these things you will never go back to wooden dowels. Just use the long wooden dowel to go down the center. At least you won't have to cut it, just sharpen it with a pencil sharpener and hammer in down in the center . No matter how we try plastic is not made to be hammered on. Hope this helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%