Luster Dust On Buttercream?

Decorating By whisperingmadcow Updated 9 Apr 2011 , 9:31pm by CindyAnn123

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 16

Hi all!

I have someone who wants a cake to look like legos. She wants one of them to be silver. I was planning on coloring my buttercream gray and lightly brushing on silver luster dust as best I can. Is that going to work? I don't have an airbrush so it would end up being with a paint brush....

Tips, tricks, ideas?

Thank you in advance!

15 replies
Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 16

what about silver luster spray? You can buy it in a can. I've used the pearl for several of my cakes that were buttercream and thought it turned out nice. Most of the online retailers have it. I used the PME brand.

whisperingmadcow Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 16

Can I get it at michaels or hobby lobby? If not then I am out of luck there...

Jenniferkay Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 16

maybe a big fluffy brush with the dust then? Last I saw Michael's or HL didn't have it. I'd schmeer some buttercream on something, let it crust then try. I've painted buttercream, but it was just detail, not an entire cake.

whisperingmadcow Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 16

I was thinking I might pick up a fan brush and try it with that. I just don't want to crush the buttercream or leave marks....

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 16

Jenifer Kay, I've never used the luster spray. How opaque is it? Would it just make the buttercream shimmer or does it actually color it? Thanks!

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 16

What kind of buttercream do you use? If it is a crusting BC, then you could let it crust, then lightly paint it. I have used luster dust to lightly dust cold SMBC, as well. It was more of a dusting though, not really painted on. Hope that make sense.

whisperingmadcow Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 4:02pm
post #8 of 16

Yeah, it is a crusting buttercream. Basicly the wilton recipe for buttercream. I just want to it look silver-ish.

radtech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
radtech Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 4:04pm
post #9 of 16

I have used a small spray bottle and placed vanilla extract with super pearl dust to get an all over shimmer on a few of my cakes since I don't have a spraygun either. it worked pretty well but you have to be careful to do is slowly so it doesnt' get too wet and drip.

Jenniferkay Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 6:37pm
post #10 of 16

I've only used the pearl so far. I think it depends on how many coats you do. I did 2 once before for a lavendar cake to give it more of that silvery lavendar look. I think if you do a few coats you could get a nice metalic with the spray cans.

whisperingmadcow Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 6:51pm
post #11 of 16

Jennifer - Was your cake iced in buttercream?

tammytaylor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammytaylor Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 6:53pm
post #12 of 16

I have mixed the luster dust with vanilla flavoring and painted on butter cream after it has crusted and it works really well.

whisperingmadcow Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 7:07pm
post #13 of 16

Tammy - Does the vanilla taste too strong? I don't want to gross anyone out...?

Jenniferkay Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 7:17pm
post #14 of 16

yep, in buttercream.

tammytaylor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammytaylor Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 3:06pm
post #15 of 16

I used clear vanilla and it did not leave a bad taste at all. Try it on a little buttercream and let it dry, then taste it. Hope this helps.

CindyAnn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindyAnn123 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 9:31pm
post #16 of 16

what ratio of silver luster dust to vodka should I use for a chrome look? thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%