Business Name - Feedback Needed

Business By aliciazak Updated 7 Apr 2011 , 1:56pm by aliciazak

aliciazak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciazak Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 4:57am
post #1 of 14

Hi all,

I was thinking of a name for my future business venture (hopefully not too far into the future icon_biggrin.gif ).

It will be a home based business (legal of course) selling cakes, cupcakes, cookies and cake pops. And perhaps later on full dessert/candy buffets.

So I have two names that I am playing around with at the moment and I wanted honest opinions on them:

Cutie Cakes

Sweetalicious

The main reason I thought of Sweetalicious is because my last name is Zakarevicius - so it rhymes with my last name!

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

13 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:00am
post #2 of 14

Before you name your business, check to see if it is available for a web address.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:14am
post #3 of 14

Sweetalicious sounds fun & it sticks in my mind. I love it...It's sweet & delicious at the same time thumbs_up.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Before you name your business, check to see if it is available for a web address.

if the name you choose is available I would buy the domain name so that you have it reserved once you are ready to build your website. You can also check in your state to see if the name is open. Some states it's free & some charge. Good luck on picking your name. I know that was a fun part for me

aliciazak Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:34am
post #4 of 14

I won't be able to purchase the .com.au domain until I have an Australian business number - which I won't get until I can make sure that I can legally bake from home. And I won't be certain of that until I know whether I have to move house or not. Argh! Such a mess.

Hopefully I'll be able to get the ball rolling soon enough.

In the mean time perhaps I should not worry about a name until I can be sure of where I am living! Goodness I should really get my priorities right.

scp1127 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:41am
post #5 of 14

You can look up the site and see if it is taken. We have sites like godaddy where you can check to see what is available. Can you check for availability before the license? In this economy, the domain name is extremely important.

aliciazak Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:45am
post #6 of 14

The .com.au domain name is available - but I can't purchase it until I have an ABN (Australian Business Number) and I can't get that until I have a business running, and I can't do that until I have a legal kitchen, and I can't do that until I know where I am living.

So basically I think I need to wait a little while longer and just pray that the domain name stays free for now.

I think this is just another case of me jumping the gun icon_razz.gif

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:45am
post #7 of 14

Okay I'm confused why won't you be able to buy the domain name...I'm not talking about the full website just the name. It's only about $7 like from go daddy so basically it is reserving the name for later just parking it. Is it a law or something that would stop you from doing that?

aliciazak Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:49am
post #8 of 14

Yep to get a .com.au domain name you actually have to have a business already set up it is different from getting a general .com. So www.sweetalicious.com is not available but www.sweetalicious.com.au is free BUT I can't purchase it until I have a business.

Although I just had a brain wave - my friend (whose house I can bake from) lives in an area in which you can legally bake from your home kitchen - so I could base myself from there for now so that I can get things started. And therefore I can get an ABN, register a business name and buy my domain!

scp1127 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 6:16am
post #9 of 14

aliciazak, that sounds like a good idea to grab it now. I bet your government is restricting those people who buy up all the popular names for nothing and sell them at substantial markups.

By the way, you answered your own question. Because you used sweetalicious as the example, you must really like it. It is different, but memorable. Only one problem... many people may not be able to spell the name. You may want to purchase the misspellings too.

aliciazak Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 7:21am
post #10 of 14

Yeah - I think the spelling is the major drawback - I'm still going to think about it for a little while.

scp1127 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 7:44am
post #11 of 14

Aliciazak, this is very sad, but the newspaper industry and mainstream print media use the criteria of a third grade education to send their message. The last word in my business name is "delivered". Look at that word and you can see how a word we all use may be misspelled many ways. Just remember to gear your written media to third graders. It doesn't mean everyone is stupid. The problem is that yes, many people aren't great spellers, but you only have their attention for a very short time. The message needs to be clear at a glance, and memorable.

aliciazak Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 7:52am
post #12 of 14

hmmm definitely food for thought - maybe back to the drawing board.

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 1:15pm
post #13 of 14

My concern with Cutie Cakes is that it will limit your clients. When I hear Cutie I think of little girls and pinks. I don't think wedding. So if you are strictly birthday cakes it would be ok. If you want to do wedding cakes, it may turn off brides looking for elegant.
I like Sweetalicious, it could work either way, but if there is already a .com could that confuse people looking for you?

aliciazak Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 1:56pm
post #14 of 14

kaat - thanks for your feedback. I see where you are coming from with Cutie Cakes - and I agree with you - I think it is too limiting. I think I am probably going to go back to the drawing board, and not rush into any name.

Now I know that I want a name that is not limiting, easy to spell and that has a free .com and .com.au domain.

Have to put my thinking cap on!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%