What Can I Do?

Decorating By hobbymommy Updated 7 Apr 2011 , 8:54pm by hobbymommy

hobbymommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbymommy Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 1:16am
post #1 of 9

Ok, so I have a cute little airplane cake due for a little guy's 1st birthday on Saturday. It's a 6" & 8" in. round 2-tiered cake, covered entirely in fondant, with some MMF airplane & cloud cutouts. It will have a #1 standing up on top tier.

Here's my problem: Top tier has a cream cheese filling, bottom tier has a chocolate ganache filling.....AND mom wants to pick up the cake at 4:30 pm on Friday, party's not til' 2:00 pm on Sat. Soooo.....with one tier that NEEDS to be refrigerated, & one tier that does NOT need to be refrigerated.....is there any way around this? Or do I NEED to just forget delivery on Friday & just drive allll the way out to where I need to deliver it on Saturday??

HELP! PLEASE!!! =(

Thanks,
Crystal
Mom to Maddy (10, HLHS), Natalie (6, healthy), Neveah (3, Kdny TX 8/12/10), & 1 Angel (m/c on 11/15/0icon_cool.gif

8 replies
VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 1:31am
post #2 of 9

I've read that if you box it up good, your customer should be able to keep it in the fridge overnight without any negative effects. One of my friends froze part of the superbowl cake I made her and didn't have any problems with the fondant when she defrosted it. Just let your customer know ahead of time how much fridge space she'll need so she can make room.

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 1:53am
post #3 of 9

I would put your dowels in the bottom tier as usual - and box the two cakes separately so she can refrigerate the one and leave the other out - and she can put the top tier on herself before the party!
If your doing an iced border on the top tier - I would consider doing a fondant ribbon border or just ribbon icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

hobbymommy Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 2:05am
post #4 of 9

That WAS my original plan, to box it up good & give it to her on Friday...I knew the fondant would be okay. I was mostly concerned with how hard the ganache would get.....I want it to be like a truffle filling when eaten, just as it is when I fill the cakes....not rock hard. I wonder if there's a certain 'time' I could tell her to take the cake out of the fridge on Sat to let the ganache soften???

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 2:16am
post #5 of 9

I generally say they're ok sitting out for a day as long as it's in a cool area, like maybe a garage. It'll keep cool enough to stay safe (I worked somewhere that left carrot cake out on the counter until it was gone and it was always fine) but not so cool as to have negative effects on part of the cake. I wouldn't like the idea of having them stack it, it is your reputation on the line and I would hate to have then ruin it. Just my opinions. icon_smile.gif

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 2:23am
post #6 of 9

I've never done a ganache filling - but when I do a fondant covered cake and they want to put it in the fridge - I tell them to take it out an hour or two before serving to soften the fondant up icon_smile.gif
I'm sure a couple hours will be ok for the ganache to soften.. but i'm not too sure hehe

hobbymommy Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 9

Still not sure what to do. If I knew for a FACT the ganache would soften up, I'd send it with mom on Friday. I'm not, however, comfortable with letting her put the top tier on herself....I'd be sooo nervous about that! Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Hmmm.....what to do, what to do???

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 7:40pm
post #8 of 9

I am assuming that you are wanting to refrigerate because of the cream cheese frosting? There is a cream cheese frosting that you don't have to refrigerate. I use it all the time, and we love it!!
If you pm me, I can send you the recipe. It is a decorators crusting cream cheese frosting.

hobbymommy Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 8:54pm
post #9 of 9

I'm using regular buttercream icing for both tiers, then covering with fondant. The cream cheese is being used as a filling for the top tier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%