Filling Cupcake Liners With Batter

Baking By StephanieLynn Updated 29 Jun 2011 , 6:25pm by millicente

StephanieLynn Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 13

Could some of you tell me what you use to fill the cupcake liners with? I see some folks use a scoop, but what size would it be for the commercial/restaurant use?

I seem to be overfilling mine and I get the muffin top every time. It would be good to know how many ounces of batter everyone is using per liner or how full they are being filled. I have baked cakes for years and have not done that many cupcakes. Thanks!!!

12 replies
leah_s Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 13

I use a portion scoop. If you're using standard restaurant ware, the yellow one.

Kristie925 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 13

I have the Pampered Chef scoops and I use the middle one for cupcakes. I level scoop makes a perfect cupcake! Not sure how many ounces it is though.

Cupcations Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 13

Same here I use the Pampered Chef large scoop its 3 Tbs(45Ml) for the standard size CC & the small scoop 1Tbs(15Ml) for the minis & I always level them & they turn out perfect, here are the links

http://www.pamperedchef.ca/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=4202&catId=122&parentCatId=122&outletSubCat=

http://www.pamperedchef.ca/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=537&catId=122&parentCatId=122&outletSubCat=

HTH

StephanieLynn Posted 5 May 2011 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I use a portion scoop. If you're using standard restaurant ware, the yellow one.

thanks for the advise on the scoops. it worked perfectly!!!!

Momsmishmash Posted 7 May 2011 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 13

Does anyone use those pancake batter dispensers to fill their liners??? How do you like it? Do they save time when filling large cupcake orders?

Dustbunny729 Posted 13 May 2011 , 5:09pm
post #7 of 13

I use the red (#24, 1 3/4 oz) ice cream scoop for most of my standard cupcakes, but will try the yellow (#20, 2 oz) this weekend. I've done some experimenting using the #24 scoop with different types of batter and have had some different results. Sometimes I get a domed top and sometimes not. All other things being equal sometimes it's the batter that determines what your cupcake will look like.

cupcakemkr Posted 13 May 2011 , 5:16pm
post #8 of 13

I also use the yellow #20 - such a timesaver

allaboutcakeuk Posted 16 May 2011 , 9:26am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieLynn

Could some of you tell me what you use to fill the cupcake liners with? I see some folks use a scoop, but what size would it be for the commercial/restaurant use?

I seem to be overfilling mine and I get the muffin top every time. It would be good to know how many ounces of batter everyone is using per liner or how full they are being filled. I have baked cakes for years and have not done that many cupcakes. Thanks!!!

I use a disposable plastic piping bag. Fill it up by standing the bag in a tall glass and then snip the end off when ready. I guess I get used to how much batter is needed in my liners. Other than that a measuring cup is another way I've done which works well to know the exact amount icon_smile.gif

sunset74 Posted 16 May 2011 , 9:54am
post #10 of 13

I use the Oxo Good grips Large Cookie Scoop. You can get it from Amazon for around 11 bucks or so. I LOVE it and use it religiously. Makes perfect sized cupcakes all the time, I always get 24 out of a cake mix.

desfox13 Posted 17 May 2011 , 5:28am
post #11 of 13

I agree with sunset74. The Oxo Lrg is perfect for me. I also use it for large chewy oatmeal/raisin cookies or chocolate chip cookies. A 1/3 cup dry measure also works well. You should fill your cups 1/2 to 2/3 full depending on the batter. Hope this helps.

sunnygirl1159 Posted 30 May 2011 , 1:58pm
post #12 of 13

I have used both a batter pen and an ice cream scoop to fill my cupcake liners. For me, choosing which one I use depends on the batter consistency. If the batter is pretty thin (i.e. cake mix), I use the batter pen; I love it and it's pretty fast. If I am making the cake from scratch and the batter is thick (i.e. batter w/ coconut flakes or some other fruit added in), the scoop works better for me.
If I use the scoop with the cake mix batter, it takes forever and makes a big mess. If I use the pen with the thick batter, it takes forever and the hole gets clogged.
HTH...

millicente Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 6:25pm
post #13 of 13

thanks ladies I went to acemart yesterday and bought a yellow handle scooper

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%