Cake Tier Not Deep Enough And Uneven

Baking By judywoody Updated 9 Apr 2011 , 7:26am by CupQuequito

judywoody Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judywoody Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 4

Not sure if I posted this in the right section - the disaster hasn't happened yet because I think there might be a solution to the problem (maybe with your help!?)

Had a recipe for a gluten free chocolate cake but had to experiment with the amount of the ingredients because the recipe was for a different sized tin. I usually use 3 inch deep tins (I am making a wedding cake!) but both tiers ended up to shallow and a little bit uneven when I cut off the top. Not sure whether the butter cream, which I will put between the layers, will help but is there any way I can add height to the tiers and make them more even without sacrificing too much height? I know that the icing will add a little bit more height. I am a novice in cake baking and I always have the same problem - for some reason the tiers never end up with the desired depth despite using the correct sized tins.

Any idea?

3 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 3:55am
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by judywoody

for some reason the tiers never end up with the desired depth despite using the correct sized tins.

Are you sure you're using enough batter to fill the pans (2" -2/3 full, 3" -1/2 full)?

And if your recipes don't bake up as high as you'd like, you can slightly overfill the pans.

Also, torting the layers will add a bit of height to the finished tier.

HTH

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 7:03am
post #3 of 4

ALSO gluten free cakes lacks a lot of structure, I never bake mine in more than 1" high layers and just bake as many as I need. Not that this helps you in the moment icon_sad.gif

CupQuequito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupQuequito Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 7:26am
post #4 of 4

I haven't made a gluten free cake yet, but GL/vegan cupcakes, yes; and they rise (oh boy do they rise) beautifully.

But, I'd do as Kory said. Make 1" cakes and fill and stack to desired height.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%