Suggestions - Cake Decorating Books

Decorating By annie84 Updated 6 Apr 2011 , 7:49pm by luddroth

annie84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annie84 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 5

Just wondering if any of you have favourite cake decorating books. I'm looking for some that are on the advanced side (but still have lots of photos!). My local library only has the basics and there isn't a great in store selection at the large chain bookstore. So I'll need to order online and it can be difficult to choose and know what you're actually getting when doing this.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

4 replies
louanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louanne Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 9:38pm
post #2 of 5

I LOVE my most recent addition to my collection,

Gorgeous and Gruesome cakes for children by debbie brown,

it has fantastic ideas and breaks the cakes down step by step with lots of pics.

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 5

I just ordered "The Confetti Cakes Cookbook: Spectacular Cookies, Cakes, and Cupcakes from New York City's Famed Bakery". I looked at Barnes and Nobles website and did the "look inside" option. It shows several 3-d carved cakes, fondant, gumpaste, recipes, icing techniques, etc. It's more of sculpted and stacked book with cakes, but it looks pretty interesting. And Debbie Brown has several more advanced books. Most of hers are very whimsical, fun cakes, but require a lot of time and effort (and intermediate skill). I'd look at reviews on amazon.com and barnes and noble's websites, and see if you can use that look inside function.

annie84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annie84 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks! I haven't done many whimsical cakes so Debbie Brown books sound like a good option

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 5

The Well Decorated Cake by Toba Garrett -- everything you need to know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%