Color Red For Mmf Fondant

Decorating By KakeKollections Updated 10 Sep 2005 , 6:44am by lastingmoments

KakeKollections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakeKollections Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 13

I am trying to make a bow with MMF and the customer wants red. All I get is more of a raspberry color. I need the bow by Sat. morning. Can I use the color mist spray and spray over the bow pieces, which is drying now. Or must I use the commerical fondant and start over. I would welcome and suggestions, Thanks

12 replies
luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 13

I made some red MMF last week, but it took so much red coloring to achieve the color I needed that I ended up with super soft MMF and I couldn't get it stiff. It worked enough for what I needed, but I don't think it could work for a bow. I have never used color mist, but you may need to buy some red fondant.

Maybe you could also paint the bow with diluted paste colors???? Just a thought.

jdogga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdogga Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 13

melt your fondant in a bowl (completely) and put red colour in it when it is melted...mix it up and voila! I had to do that last week and it worked! Just make sure the fondant is cooled completely before you play with it again...I learned the hard way and got 3rd deg burns on my fingers! I still have huge bubbles on my fingertips and it's been over a week! So be very careful!

KakeKollections Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 13

Do you mean after I have actually made the MMF to melt it again to add more red (another jar, haha it takes so much) I did put the color in when I was stirring it, but I had to continue to add more red and then it became crumbly, the more I worked with the worse it got. Last week I made a bow of a different color, it worked great. What do I have to loose I will melt it down again, if not I will try maybe painting it.

Thank you both for your ideas.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 13

Use Americolor food coloring if you can. It gives you the truest red.

bagadonuts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bagadonuts Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 13

If you have access to Chef Master products, get their "Red powder shade #3c7540. It's the best I've ever found, and won't use anything else. It doesn't take much, and it will oxidize. and get darker. I keep some made up, in the cooler. At least try to mix it a day ahead.
I decorate cakes in a bakery, so it is essential that I have a true red, and black. Hope this helps. Carol icon_smile.gif

TraciJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TraciJ Posted 8 Sep 2005 , 1:56am
post #7 of 13

For the red that I used in my MMF (in my gallery) I used two kinds of Wilton red - Christmas Red and Red Red. I used about a 1/4 of each tub and it came out a nice red -- I had to let it sit overnight before it "cured" to that color though. It was a bit soft -- LOVE the melt it and color it idea.

I would think that you could melt what you already have instead of starting over. It's pretty versitile stuff.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 8 Sep 2005 , 3:03am
post #8 of 13

I made red MMF for 4th of july (cake is in my pictures) And I may have used at the mots 1/4 of a small jar of wilton Red-Red. I made a small batch and I add the color in when the MM and Water are mixed together. BEFORE I add any powdered sugar. It doesn't seem to take as much and the color doesn't change when adding the powdered sugar. I did notice my red was a little softer than my white and blue, but it wasn't a significant amount.

I believe I red somewhere on here to add gum-tex to the MMF so it will actually dry hard. Expecially since the red will already be soft, and will soften up with any humidity. You may want to do a search on MMF bows or MMF drying.

Hope this helps. Can't wait to see the cake!

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 8 Sep 2005 , 10:20am
post #9 of 13

Yes, leily is right. If your going to make something like a bow, your going to want to add gum-tex to your fondant.

PS Add your color AFTER you have knead in your gum-tex completely. If you don't, your color will be spotted.

Rose

jdogga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdogga Posted 8 Sep 2005 , 11:50am
post #10 of 13

yep...completely melt what you already made and stir in the colour when the sugas is runny again! It works much better than tryin to knead in colour after it's cooled! Next time, estimate how much of a colour you need and stir the colour in the melted MM mix before you add the powdered sugar!! Works like a charm and you hardly use any colour at all!

KakeKollections Posted 9 Sep 2005 , 12:06pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks for all of your tips, I did melt it again, plus made another small batch of MMF and added the color into the melted MM then added the powdered sugar, worked great. I'm going to look into those other brands of red, too.

LadyCharm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyCharm Posted 9 Sep 2005 , 12:24pm
post #12 of 13

Took the advice I read here,bought some of the Americolors. What a difference I used much less got brigther, bolder colors. Thanks, this site is great I appericate all the tips.
Have a great day Everyone!!
Theresa

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 10 Sep 2005 , 6:44am
post #13 of 13

also just for the record.....i heard that if you start with pnink it takes less red and same for black if you start with brown.....

I always have fondant on hand and last week i had left over pink from my baby shower cake so i added red to make the red for my superman cake!

good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%