Fondant Layers/inlay? Fbct? Color Flow? Candy Melts?

Decorating By chickadee2828 Updated 5 Apr 2011 , 1:22pm by BrindysBackyard

chickadee2828 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chickadee2828 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 12:09pm
post #1 of 4

I have been asked to add a large NHL team logo (Ottawa Senators) onto a 9" cake. I'm not sure which way to approach the logo.

The cake will be covered in fondant, so I thought about just cutting out coloured pieces of fondant and layering them up, then tracing around in black icing, but I'm worried about it looking uneven, and how the icing would work with different levels of fondant.

So, that's when I thought about using the fondant inlay technique, and then using black icing. But there's a LOT of black icing, and not sure if I should just use black fondant...but again layering issue...or a LOT of inlay work.

I considered the FCBT idea, but I haven't tried this, and I'm worried if it would work for such a large, detailed piece (i.e. 6-7" diameter). I also want it to look really good since it will be placed on smooth white fondant.

I considered the Color Flow idea, but again, this is new to me. It looks like exactly what I want...nice and smooth. But, can it be placed on fondant without breaking down. I have to put it on the cake the day before it will be eaten. I'm also worried about breakage because of the size.

I also thought about candy melts, but again...breakage?

I'd love to hear from others about their experiences so that I can decide which way to go about this cake.

Here is the image

3 replies
chefyluvs2cook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefyluvs2cook Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 12:54pm
post #2 of 4

where would i find information on how to do Bas Relief

SoonerBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoonerBaker Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 4

I watched this video on youtube.

I tried my transfer in frosting, then made it in chocolate. Worked like a charm.

BrindysBackyard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrindysBackyard Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 1:22pm
post #4 of 4

I would go with a chocolate transfer

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%