Can Any Cake Recipe Be Made Into Cupcakes?

Baking By Kaybaby Updated 3 Apr 2011 , 10:23pm by scp1127

Kaybaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaybaby Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 13

I normally just make boxed cupcakes since it's just for us. I would like to venture out and try some of the gourmet flavors. Is it possible to turn any recipe into cupcakes and have them turn out properly?

Thanks so much,

Vonda

12 replies
diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 13

yep, just about any icon_wink.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 2:11am
post #3 of 13

I agree, yes.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 2:24am
post #4 of 13

Some of my scratch recipes tend to pull away from the papers. I would say to experiment and see which of your recipes works well!

scp1127 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 2:27am
post #5 of 13

Kitagirl, mine did too. I use Reynolds Foil and never have a problem. I think the natural ingredients are too much for the cheaper papers. I do have some more expensive greaseproof papers that work and all of my muffins are in greaseproof brown tulip papers.

Kitagrl Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 2:33am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Kitagirl, mine did too. I use Reynolds Foil and never have a problem. I think the natural ingredients are too much for the cheaper papers. I do have some more expensive greaseproof papers that work and all of my muffins are in greaseproof brown tulip papers.

Oh that's good to know...I usually just put doctored box in cupcakes because my pound and a few other recipes always pulled away. The only one that did not was a pumpkin recipe but that one, the oil in the recipe would soak through the paper...ew.

I'll have to try nicer liners next time.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 2:34am
post #7 of 13

Nope! After a year of making strictly cupcakes and trying every recipe under the sun, I am going to say no.

I have made delicious moist cakes that turn to sandpaper after they are made into cupcakes.

I got so frustrated that I started formulating my own recipes. Finally I am happy with the moisture content.

No they don't peel away from the paper.

No, I can't share. I am opening my own cupcake/cake shop, so I need to keep these recipes to myself.

The one thing I will say is if you want to use any recipe make sure you keep them tightly sealed in an airtight container and eat them the same day you make them.

Kitagrl Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 2:41am
post #8 of 13

Linda...every year I go to a cake show thing and every year my cakes were raved over. So last year I decide to get all cute and display mini cupcakes instead of slicing pieces off sheet cakes. WOW. They were horrible. I even had a woman spit hers out saying it was horrible. I have NEVER had that happen with one of my cakes before. I do find cupcakes go dry fast so I try to make mine the day before they are due and no longer if possible. And I no longer do mini cupcakes if I can help it....the regular ones are okay but the mini ones go dry WAY too fast.

Good luck on your cupcake business! I was at a food show a couple months ago and there was a lady there with a cupcake business and sadly enough the cupcakes tasted dry and full of chemicals. Cupcakes are difficult...if you can pull off a good one, you should have plenty of business!!!!

scp1127 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 2:46am
post #9 of 13

Linda, most of mine are extremely moist. They have all baked well as cupcakes as long as I use the correct liners. The exceptions are the more delicate batters. I haven't tried them. And from what you are posting, I'm guessing these are the troublemakers. I have one delicate recipe I use only for my daughter's boyfriend because one of my experiments became his favorite. It is unpredictable in that even if I use a scoop, the rise is slightly different from cupcake to cupcake.

So I guess when I said yes, I didn't take into consideration that there are some recipes you can just read and know they are going to be trouble. I guess I have avoided them and didn't think about novice bakers. But then it can be said that MOST recipes for cake are not that great. So obviously the cupcakes will be worse.

I'm so glad for you opening a shop. Mine is really new so we are at about the same place. If we are far away from each other, maybe we could pm each other with ideas.

scp1127 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 2:53am
post #10 of 13

I have a cupcake suggestion... work backwards. I make my filling and icing the day before. At the last minute, I make the cupcakes with just enough tim to cool properly, fill, then ice. I actually fill and ice in the box I will use for delivery. Then they are out the door. I also suggest to enjoy the day of delivery as mine are scratch and you can really tell when they start to get old. Some will last days, but I can't get into that every time I have a cupcake order.

But with those foil liners, you can bake 24 for an order and be assured you will have 24 perfect cupcakes.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 1:45pm
post #11 of 13

Scp1127 - We do live far enough way, about 7 hours apart on the east coast. I would love to swap ideas. Only you are further along than I am. I am still lease negotiating. It has taken a month and I walked away twice now, but I think the third time will be the charm. We have a better understanding of the darn thing now. One more expensive phone call to my lawyer should do the trick.

And I like you idea about the cupcakes. I now make my frosting and other toppings first. For some reason, in my head it works out better that way.

My cupcakes stay fresh for about 3 days. I purposely held them for three days and then presented them to my neighbors. When I told them how old they were they were floored. Not that I would recommend anybody keep them for that long, but sometimes they cannot be eaten that day. So to last at least to the next day is ideal for me.

Kaybaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaybaby Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 3:18pm
post #12 of 13

Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I'm going to try a Caramel Frappuccino Cake recipe and see if it works. I found the recipe here on CC and it is by Laynie72.

Good luck your cc businesses.

Vonda

scp1127 Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 10:23pm
post #13 of 13

Linda, I was six months longer than I thought I would be in opening. But in those six months I planned and studied more. I am so much better off for those six irritating months. For cupcakes and cake, anything with banana takes on a strong taste after two days. And those lighter batters worry me. The heavier ones like carrot and RV would keep awhile. The ones with custards (icing bases and fillings) do well because the cake gets moisture from the custard. I am so anal about this and I need to get over it. I want the customer to have those good three days. That italian custard cake (or cupcake) of Buddy Valastro's will last as long as a Twinkie.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%