Bulging Cakes, Need Help

Decorating By jewordsoflife Updated 2 Apr 2011 , 6:25pm by jewordsoflife

jewordsoflife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewordsoflife Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 4

I've only done 2 fondant cakes and I'm having a couple of problems. The first being that I end up with what looks like a bulge somewhere around the middle of the cake. Is this a stacking problem or could it be my fondant (first time homemade MMF)? I level, torte, fill (I also use a bit of pressure to ensure there are not any air pockets) and crumb coat my cakes. Second problem is both times I had a tear and it was in basically the same location on each cake, about 1 inch from the base of the cake. I don't think it's bc the fondant was rolled too thin in a spot bc I use rings on my roller to insure and even rolling. Please help! I can't keep on doing fondant cakes if this is going to happen every time. icon_cry.gif
As always, thank you for your help in advance!

3 replies
Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 4

I don't do fondant covering on cakes so I can't help you there, but as far as bulging sides go I have a suggestion. The day before you decorate fill and crumb coat your cake, let it crust a little, throw on a loose wrapping of plastic wrap and, as LeahS, suggests, put a book( or ceramic tile, or a glass plate...whatever's handy) and let that cake sit like that until the next day (or even a few hours helps!)....if the cake is going to bulge it will do it during that time.....Day of decorating - re-ice the cake to compensate or straighten up any bulging sides before you cover in fondant....sounds like a pain, but is totally worth it.
And of course, another much simpler suggestion is to use less icing or filling between the layers and/or find a sturdier cake recipe that can handle the weight of the fondant. HTH

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 4

Actually, do NOT crumb coat. Torte, fill , stack and wrap in plastic wrap, then place 1 ceramic tile on top and let the cake sit to settle. A few hours will do pretty good, and overnight is the best.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633571-newest.html+trick

jewordsoflife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewordsoflife Posted 2 Apr 2011 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 4

I'm SO going to try this!! THANK YOU BOTH!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%