How Do I Convert Multi-Tier Design To One Tier?

Decorating By fruitsnack Updated 1 Apr 2011 , 10:40pm by fruitsnack

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 7

I just got a call for a bridal shower cake to feed 25. She wants a single tier, because she is going to be picking it up. The wedding has hydrangeas, so I found this picture of a cake (I don't know who made it) that has hydrangeas and is a similar design to the invitation:

The only problem I have, is that I think the top of the cake will look too bare if I have only one 10" or 12" tier. All the decorations will be on the edges and the sides.

What would you put in the middle of that cake if you were making it a one tier?

6 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitsnack

What would you put in the middle of that cake if you were making it a one tier?

I'd ask the bride what she wants. Maybe she has a topper already. If not, you need to find out what her plan is, or make a suggestion to her of what you (as the decorator/designer of her cake) would recommend what would appropriately fill the space.

fruitsnack Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 7

The woman in charge of the cake isn't the bride - it's one of the bridesmaids. She's leaving the design up to me. There won't be a topper - this is for the shower, and will probably only be a 10" or 12" single tier.

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 7

I think I would just put some hydrangeas in the center of the cake. Maybe make a small mound of frosting to sit them on so they'd be raised a little. And maybe scatter a few on the top around the mound, like the few that are on the cake plate on the bottom. You could continue the lines and dots design from the side of the cake to the center also. I think just the flowers would be enough though.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 7

Ask them is they want something written on the cake. That would fill in the top a little so it wasn't totally plain.

Covering up the bottom tiers, I think the top could stand along. I can see you being iffy with a bigger cake, but I've see roses around the edges of 8in cakes that looked good.

My first thoughts would be to use the lines or dots on the top, but I'm thinking that may be too busy looking.

Sometimes when searching for ideas we have to broaden the search. Even though you want to use hydranges, look at cakes with any kinds of flowers on them to see how they are arranged. Those arrangements might help you better plan for the placements of the hydranges.

You do realise that a 10in or 12in cake would give you more servings than you need, don't you?

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Using the wedding serving size (which is what size I use for everything, no matter tha occasion) a 8in round serves 24, a 10 in round serves 38 and a 12in round serves 56 (double the servings you need.)

Even if you used the party servings, the 10in would give you 28 and the 12in would give you 40.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitsnack

The woman in charge of the cake isn't the bride - it's one of the bridesmaids. She's leaving the design up to me. There won't be a topper - this is for the shower, and will probably only be a 10" or 12" single tier.

how about making one large hydranga blossom on for the top - like a posy of all the smaller blossoms to fill the centre of the cake as I know what you mean it will be a big space on top otherwise. I think that would look really pretty?

HTH

fruitsnack Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 10:40pm
post #7 of 7

The more I think about it, I don't think I'll be able to do this design. I don't have the cutter/veiner, and I worry about basing my whole design on something that I might not have in time. Off to search for other ideas. Thanks for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%